Home

Glycerin / Beaver castor ?

Posted By: LT GREY

Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 02/23/21 09:04 PM

How many of you soak (dried) castors in glycerin ?
Anyone ?
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 02/23/21 10:43 PM

Yep(not sure if this is what youre asking) but got a gallon glass jar I filled 3/4 full of raw (not dried) castor about 10 years ago. After about 5 years I started using the glycerin as beaver lure. It is good stuff.

Did same with oil sacs.
Posted By: wormbobskey

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 02/24/21 03:09 AM

I grind mine to powder and then mix powder and glycerin to make lure.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 02/24/21 02:08 PM

I just cover with everclear first for a short time then add glycerin.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 02/24/21 02:29 PM

I never understood why a person would dehydrate then rehydrate the sacks it seems you would be losing the very odors your looking to save. Semi dry to get the excess moistures out then grind fresh and add glycerin is what I have always done. Just make sure the sacks are clean free of any flesh.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 02/24/21 02:45 PM

Fresh on down to semi dry is what I use.
Posted By: Coon Duke

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 02/24/21 05:09 PM

I grind green and spread on a tray to dry. Stir daily.

When bone dry “crumbles” I add 25 percent alcohol/75 percent glycerine until a thick paste consistency is reached.

I much prefer to grind green.

Dried castor makes a different and IMO a more stable and consistent product.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 02/24/21 05:10 PM

I try and go as natural as I can. I scrape the fresh contents out of the sac. I avoid getting any membrane in my scrapings. Then I add glyrcien to make a paste.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 02/24/21 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
I never understood why a person would dehydrate then rehydrate the sacks it seems you would be losing the very odors your looking to save. Semi dry to get the excess moistures out then grind fresh and add glycerin is what I have always done. Just make sure the sacks are clean free of any flesh.

I like to dehydrate them, grind them, and then let it age. The aging process makes for a nice mellow castor odor. That's what I use in making Backbreaker.

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 02/24/21 10:21 PM

Seems like there would be a big loss of that sweet sticky goo.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 02/24/21 10:25 PM

Nah, the odor is still there, it's just concentrated. I'm not after the moisture in the castor, I want what's in the moisture, if that makes sense.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 02/25/21 01:26 AM

I do the same thing on fresh and dried. I think at least to my nose there are 2 different odors.

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 02/25/21 03:20 PM

So what value does the sac membrane Itself have? Why not just scrape out the contents then let that dry and then pulverize It?

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 02/25/21 03:26 PM

Filler really the beaver has a great sense of smell so a little natural filler should not be a issue.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 02/25/21 05:27 PM

Actually the empty sacs hold odor even after emptied or scraped out.i prefer to grind contents and sacs intact. Keep those scraped clean as is possible castor pods and smell them a year later.

Granted the membrane is thin but it is the home of the castor itself. Just like skunk pods. Onced drained they still hold the odor of essence forever. It may be more mellow but a nice odor nontheless. Keep those dried castor shells and run them in a blender until it becomes a powder. Makes a very good lure or bait ingredient.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 03/05/21 11:42 PM

Thanks to all who responded
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 03/06/21 01:54 PM

Tony were looking for a response on glycerin vs glycol?
Posted By: Coon Duke

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 03/09/21 07:31 PM

With the price of castor, is there a reason why trappers are not using tinctured castor for trapping? I would think it’s the best way to stretch castor. Squirt and go too...
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 03/09/21 07:57 PM

see yer other thread

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 03/10/21 12:27 AM

When i catch a beaver at a set the first thing I do after It's removed from the trap is give that beaver good squeeze right at the set. Can't get more natural then that.
Posted By: DecoyMacoy

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 04/12/21 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I try and go as natural as I can. I scrape the fresh contents out of the sac. I avoid getting any membrane in my scrapings. Then I add glyrcien to make a paste.

Mr Beav, I'm curious if prefer to use your simple green castor/glycerin lure mix freshly made, aged a month or say aged for a year?

I'm finishing up with spring beaver, low on lure but have a decent amount of fresh castors drying right now. Planning for next season so I'm considering mix some up now or waiting for a fresh catch next season.
Posted By: cbfish

Re: Glycerin / Beaver castor ? - 05/19/21 02:16 AM

My experience has taught me to use what I have when I have it. I have been adding glycerin to the same 4 oz. container of castor for quite a few years. I made it years ago from two beavers eating only cottonwood. When it gets sticky I add more glycerin. I also added some salt so it wouldn’t freeze readily in the jar. Foxes and beaver have not complained. A pea sized drop is all I use. Make it while you can and store it Ina cool dry place.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums