Home

How much is too much?

Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

How much is too much? - 03/01/21 11:26 PM

making a canine bait with muskrat. What would be too much castor to put in say a gallon of meat? Same question for sac oil.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: How much is too much? - 03/02/21 03:03 AM

It's all trial and error as what works for me in my area may not work for you. Make a small test batch and try it with a game camera. The animals will tell you what you want to know.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: How much is too much? - 03/02/21 07:59 PM

it also depends how much ya tainted the base
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: How much is too much? - 03/15/21 07:57 PM

I have a tendency to go light on the castor as in a thumb nail full in 4 oz of bait. Maybe it’s just my nose but any more than that and a month later that’s all I can smell is castor. My reasoning is that a coyote can smell it even if I can’t. If I’m putting out a meat based bait I’m appealing to a coyotes stomach. If you add muskrat gland to this meat you are still appealing to his stomach. If I’m using castor ( Backbreaker ) I’m using it as a curiosity Lure or bait. I personally would use one or the other .

Re: How much is too much? - 03/16/21 10:05 AM

have you considered joining the Lure/Baitmakers Free Book Club?

Re: How much is too much? - 03/16/21 02:46 PM

Good idea traprjohn. Actually I did't know about it. As a novice I can use all the help I can get and definately will be joining.

Re: How much is too much? - 03/16/21 02:49 PM

Good idea traprjohn. Actually I did't know about it. As a novice I can use all the help I can get and definately will be joining. Thanks for the info and advice. The actual reason for the question is I don't have trapable numbers of muskrats where I live. But reading and following folks like Robert Wadell have perked my interest in muskrat meat and I know a lot of folks seem to use some castor or backbreaker at their canine sets.

Re: How much is too much? - 03/16/21 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by turkn8rtrapper
and definately will be joining.

here's how ya join
take a few of the catalogs that should be on your desk and circle a few bait/lure making books in each
give catalogs to different loved ones that typically buy your Easter, birthday, Christmas, Labor day gifts each year and explain to them "it is my hearts desire for your money to be well spent, on things I need and want and will use. This way I don't get sweaters, etc that I may only wear once/year."

Works great in this family.

I may be the only guy you know who got bobcat urine and muskrat glands for Christmas last year!
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: How much is too much? - 03/16/21 05:09 PM

Go make 4 -5 holes with a piece of rebar. Needs to be where coyotes will find them. Camera is your friend. Put some castor in. Not something you bought "ground and properly preserved" but straight castor. Find out what happens when you add some to your attractant.

Books are fine but nobody selling scents is going to help you compete with them in a significant way.

Re: How much is too much? - 03/16/21 05:47 PM

Great advice.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums