Home

Do you have to gut fish for fish oil?

Posted By: bearcat2

Do you have to gut fish for fish oil? - 04/07/21 04:48 PM

I've read quite a few people saying you need to gut them, and I have when I've done it in the past. But I'm pretty sure I didn't when I was a teenager and made fish oil and I don't recall any problems. I have read a couple people say that you don't need to also, and others that they get most of the oil from the fat around the guts.

So what would be the problems with making fish oil guts and all?
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Do you have to gut fish for fish oil? - 04/07/21 07:41 PM

Dealing with a lot bad bacteria with all the guts. When I make fish oil from walleye fat I separate the fat from the rest of the guts and sun render that
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Do you have to gut fish for fish oil? - 04/07/21 08:24 PM

I separate the fat from the rest of the guts and sun render that

If you got enough it renders real nice on a low heat in a sauce pan on the stove.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Do you have to gut fish for fish oil? - 04/08/21 01:05 PM

Fish oil and fish juice. I do both. The fish oil I will gut. fish juice I will not. Makes 2 different products for me from the same type of fish.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Do you have to gut fish for fish oil? - 04/08/21 03:39 PM

I made fish oil out of a bunch of bluegill heads and guts as well as small bluegills whole a few years ago. They sun rendered for a couple months in large mason jars. I got a decent amount of beautiful clear golden fish oil floating on top of an equal amount of fish juice after straining the rotted down bits out. Just had to decant the oil off the top after settling.

Re: Do you have to gut fish for fish oil? - 04/08/21 08:39 PM

[Linked Image]

Spoonbill oil rendered from belly fat

[Linked Image]

I bought this at walmart. Sold as a tea jug. Strain out the solids when sun rendering. Put the liquid in and wait a few days. Juice will drain off first.

Re: Do you have to gut fish for fish oil? - 04/08/21 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
[Linked Image]

Spoonbill oil rendered from belly fat

[Linked Image]

I bought this at walmart. Sold as a tea jug. Strain out the solids when sun rendering. Put the liquid in and wait a few days. Juice will drain off first.

That is a nice rig. Thanks for posting this.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Do you have to gut fish for fish oil? - 04/08/21 09:47 PM

Danny if I understand you right you draw all the liquid off with that tea jug and then separate the oil ?

Re: Do you have to gut fish for fish oil? - 04/08/21 11:48 PM

Just open the valve. The juice comes out first. When the top oil starts coming out shut the valve. Switch to a clean jar and open it again.

Re: Do you have to gut fish for fish oil? - 04/09/21 01:37 PM

That’s pretty slick !
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Do you have to gut fish for fish oil? - 04/09/21 02:53 PM

With crappie and bluegill fishing coming up, I was wondering if the filleted remains would be worth messing with, I didn't think so, but apparently bhugo did all right.

Re: Do you have to gut fish for fish oil? - 04/09/21 04:40 PM

I can’t help but think the skins would be worth saving ?

Re: Do you have to gut fish for fish oil? - 04/12/21 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by bearcat2
With crappie and bluegill fishing coming up, I was wondering if the filleted remains would be worth messing with, I didn't think so, but apparently bhugo did all right.

I’m sure you would get better yields from other fish but the remnants work fine. Mine were from cleaning fish caught during ice fishing. Throw the little ones in too. Freeze the remains until you get enough.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums