Home

Bait finished

Posted By: btomlin

Bait finished - 07/31/21 02:13 PM

I got a bottle of Dobbins solution at the NTA. I tainted 1/2 gal bobcat and 1/2 gal deer scraps in 2 separate containers for 3 days in mid 80 - low 90s. I feel I got a 50/50 gray/pink on the course ground meat and then added the solution and SB. Question: How do I know when it is ready to put in a jug?? I’m not too keen on a bait explosion. Is it an odor change, color change or just let it go until sure? I’ve been mixing everyday per the directions.

Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Bait finished - 07/31/21 03:22 PM

Stir the bait every other day for a week to ten days if ground, or for two weeks if in chunks the size of a hickory nut or smaller, and it should be good to go. You can test it by putting some in a plastic jar that will seal, and let it set for a few days. Open the lid and listen for a pssst sound. If there is a pssst sound, let it age a bit more. I wouldn't test it in a glass jar, just in case.

Re: Bait finished - 07/31/21 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Stir the bait every other day for a week to ten days if ground, or for two weeks if in chunks the size of a hickory nut or smaller, and it should be good to go. You can test it by putting some in a plastic jar that will seal, and let it set for a few days. Open the lid and listen for a pssst sound. If there is a pssst sound, let it age a bit more. I wouldn't test it in a glass jar, just in case.

Thank you

Re: Bait finished - 08/04/21 05:01 PM

It's really starting to smell "good" now. It is really starting to smell like some bait. I was really questioning myself there for a while. LOL. Can't wait to get some down a hole this Fall.

I'm in Iowa. Typically trap mainly thanksgiving through Dec into early Jan. Should I had some glycerine?? how much??

Re: Bait finished - 08/17/21 08:05 PM

My bait is all jugged. I ended up adding 8oz glycerine (by eyeball smile ) to each 1/2 gal. Now I'm just ready for it to cool off a little and do some testing. The BC turned out better than the deer scrapes. I'm not sure if due to a courser grind or just different base or if one stabilized with SB quicker than the other. Both should work just fine though.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums