Home

Non tainted bait

Posted By: Dstone1992

Non tainted bait - 08/25/21 12:00 PM

Does anyone here make bait that is not tainted? I have thinking about giving this a try. I have only made bait once, I was 12 I ground up 6 skinned and gutted grey squirrels bones and all in my dads grinder and added 3 diffrent kinds of hawbreakers lures and put it in a mason jar. I caught more grey fox on that bait than anything I have ever used. Looking to try my hand at it again.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Non tainted bait - 08/25/21 01:54 PM

I was always told a slight taint is preferred by most animals for digestive reasons plus it increases the odor, some baits will sweeten if slightly tainted then preserved.

Re: Non tainted bait - 08/25/21 07:35 PM

Can you taint some less with out it blowing up vs tainting it till there is no gas being released?

Re: Non tainted bait - 08/26/21 03:02 AM

I like a mild taint sweet almost then add sodium benzoate to it to stop the process.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Non tainted bait - 08/31/21 08:19 PM

I use ground deer meat successfully in dirt holes
beaver meat is used by many people especially for Fisher
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Non tainted bait - 09/01/21 12:17 AM

I make a fish bait that is not tainted, and a fish bait that is tainted and a fish bait that is aged 2 years LOL They all work but the last is rough if it gets on you LOL

Re: Non tainted bait - 09/01/21 12:19 AM

I make a fish bait that is not tainted, and a fish bait that is tainted and a fish bait that has fish aged 2 years in it LOL They all work but the last is rough if it gets on you LOL

Re: Non tainted bait - 09/02/21 07:09 PM

Fish bait interesting for canines?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Non tainted bait - 09/02/21 10:13 PM

We have made Indian cured fish for many years. It is a very good bait for all flesh eating animals small and large.

Re: Non tainted bait - 09/03/21 01:06 AM

What exactly is Indian cured fish? I guess I could do a search. I ordered some sb and some solution today. Just got back from a ground hog hunt with my 8 year old. Im going to try it for a base. Guess what dad missed...I told him well that was a once in a life time experience for you lol next time I'll let him shoot.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Non tainted bait - 09/08/21 08:33 PM

Can’t beat ground hog for bait , the squirrels have a smell all their own without being aged.
Posted By: Dan Barnhurst

Re: Non tainted bait - 09/08/21 09:18 PM

Indian cured fish? Is this just smoked fish?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Non tainted bait - 09/08/21 09:53 PM

Open Air Dried on very hot days. We use large screens to display all the fish until dry. No smoke is used. They dry quickly when cut in smaller pieces. Heat and smoke was used by most natives to cure and preserve meat and fish when salts were not readily available. Clean the fish well with no entrails.

Flies won't bother the meat of the fish but they will lay eggs on any decomposing type of flesh that is left on the fish.
Posted By: son-of-grizz

Re: Non tainted bait - 09/09/21 12:24 AM

When you do the fish are you just using fillets or the whole fish? I have some frozen in the freezer still fully intact, was just getting ready to pull them out and thaw and gut then salt them. It's probably to late in the season to air dry them. Sounds like a late summer job.
Posted By: trappergreen62

Re: Non tainted bait - 09/27/21 03:57 AM

if you have them already frozen in your freezer I would leave them there until just before you want to use them unless you need the room now.
i suppose if you want to grind them and make a paste or soak them in some solution you could pull them sooner. At least wait until its a little cooler?
Now's a good time to scout for sign, most the creeks are low so good tracking, the leaves have not fallen yet so trails should be easier to spot as well as creeks aren't chocked full of them,
That makes it a good time to catch a few more bait fish. Also the days are getting cooler though there still buggy and the fall crops are ripening. corn, grapes and acorns come to mind. With either a bow for deer, 22 for squirrels while checking the mast crop or your scatter gun for grouse and ducks around the orchards and waterways its a great time to be young and healthy enjoying the great outdoors.
Best of Luck to all of you this year. May it be a healthful and prosperous season for all.

Re: Non tainted bait - 09/29/21 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dstone1992
Fish bait interesting for canines?

yes, good summer and early fall bait in dirt holes. also works in cold weather if you have a call lure or right on the x.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Non tainted bait - 10/01/21 05:53 PM

My fish that I use for bait is all freshly salted. Doesn't matter whether it's whole or ground up. Rotten fish still works, I guess, but is it necessary?
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Non tainted bait - 10/04/21 12:17 AM

Coyotes love fish.
Posted By: MNEric

Re: Non tainted bait - 10/04/21 12:24 AM

Chicken fat

Re: Non tainted bait - 10/11/21 05:24 PM

I can’t think of anything that won’t eat fish! When I run a lot of cages I catch about everything out there from cats to k-9s
© 2024 Trapperman Forums