Home

Caster Blender?

Posted By: Boy Named Sue

Caster Blender? - 11/22/21 02:55 AM

I want to grind a small batch of caster for lure. Who makes a blender that doesnt smoke before grinding a few casters.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Caster Blender? - 11/22/21 03:07 AM

With only a few castors you can dice really fine using a sharp knife and cutting board. Even Cabalas biggest meat grinder can have difficulty on castors.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Caster Blender? - 11/23/21 11:35 AM

I first tried food blenders and had the same problem. That little blade doesn’t cut it. Food processors will do a good job and they’re fairly cheap. I cut up the castors some and remove the “string” that holds them together. That’s what causes most problems. Adding a little glycerine helps too.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Caster Blender? - 11/23/21 08:49 PM

Coffee bean grinder?
Posted By: wormbobskey

Re: Caster Blender? - 11/27/21 05:35 PM

Regular old fashion hand crank food grinder. I grind them semi dry, let it sit for a day or two and run it through again. Turns it into a fine powder that's just right for adding to bait or lures or just add glycerin to make a good castor lure.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Caster Blender? - 11/27/21 07:17 PM

I have several cuisnart older style blender motor bases and carafes. I buy as many spare motor bases as I can when I find them. Key to grinding castors is not to over heat the motors or over load the grind capacity in each batch. I have burned up some motors and replaced the resistors in some to re build the electrical heat sensors to work once again.

Castor is hard on most blenders if you do a lot of it.

Don't over heat your motor and cut up your castor pieces and dry well to reduce the motor stress and you should be good to go. Grind for short bursts of 30 seconds or less. Check your motor for over heating.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Caster Blender? - 12/02/21 05:06 AM

I never understood why it gets dried out to rock like just to be rehydrated down the road to use it? I’ve always ground it moist and kept it that way just scoop and use it maybe I’m just lazy. LOL
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Caster Blender? - 12/02/21 02:20 PM

We have always tried to keep a good inventory of powdered castor on hand. Just so we have it when needed for formulation. Since it does require quite a bit of preparation.

It has worked out well for us to have to have too much extra then not enough.

I suppose having surplus ingredients is part of our business model practice to have more then what we need at any given time..
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Caster Blender? - 12/02/21 09:22 PM

Never used a blender
Chop into pieces and put through meat grinder with the plate with the smallest holes add glycerin and stir
Simple and effective
Posted By: chucky22250

Re: Caster Blender? - 12/17/21 02:52 PM

I have found on any blender I need 1 with at least 2000 rpm to work best and as bob said cut the pieces up smaller or you will burn motors up...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums