Home

How to thicken lure?

Posted By: Flint Lock

How to thicken lure? - 01/07/22 04:04 PM

I have some call lure that is very runny and I would like to thicken it. Is there something I can add to it that thickens it up without changing it's smell?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: How to thicken lure? - 01/07/22 04:45 PM

Corn Starch is a common consumer house hold ingredient that should do what you want for small amounts of lure. An old time trapper I knew from my much younger years made some lure and often used cat tail fluff as a thickener. Worked well as much as I could see. He used it in his beaver lure which primarily consisted of poplar bud oil some glycerin and the fluff for fiber and filler.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: How to thicken lure? - 01/10/22 04:38 AM

Do a search for food thickener on the web lots of options Thick It is one option if I remember right.
Posted By: TravC

Re: How to thicken lure? - 01/16/22 12:32 AM

Walmart sales something called xantham gum. Or you can order it online you might give it a try
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: How to thicken lure? - 01/16/22 01:06 AM

I like hard boiled egg yolks. Won't over power any other odor but will thicken and add to the attraction if we are talking predators. Also works as an emulsifing agent helping oil and water bases mix a little better.

Credit goes to Laz for giving me the idea
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: How to thicken lure? - 01/16/22 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
I like hard boiled egg yolks. Won't over power any other odor but will thicken and add to the attraction if we are talking predators. Also works as an emulsifing agent helping oil and water bases mix a little better.

Credit goes to Laz for giving me the idea

I've been using powdered egg yolks for years. Works great. https://bulkfoods.com/egg-powder/egg-yolk-powder.html
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: How to thicken lure? - 01/17/22 05:41 PM

Thank you Paul, those powdered Egg Yolks sound like they will work good and be pretty attractive to animals
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: How to thicken lure? - 01/17/22 09:38 PM

I also use powdered chicken liver. Sometimes it's hard to find though.
Posted By: Thumb Catcher

Re: How to thicken lure? - 03/04/22 02:19 AM

Posted By: kytrapper

Re: How to thicken lure? - 03/04/22 12:12 PM

Iím looking for something that makes my beaver lure more pasty. The texture is a more granular form with glycerine and I canít seem to get that smearable form I find in commercial lures. Very amateur lure maker but I have very good luck with it on several animals.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: How to thicken lure? - 03/04/22 12:28 PM

Guar gums or cellosize powders should give you a paste like consistency. You will have to work the product into your lure material slowly so as not to add too much. But that is how we learn sometimes. Some groceries stores sell some gum products for cooking purposes.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: How to thicken lure? - 03/04/22 12:54 PM

As always Bob, thank you for your reply.
Posted By: yukonal

Re: How to thicken lure? - 03/05/22 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
An old time trapper I knew from my much younger years made some lure and often used cat tail fluff as a thickener...

I've been called worse...lol

I've used it with very good results.
© 2022 Trapperman Forums