Home

Otter Glands / ground / preserved

Posted By: LT GREY

Otter Glands / ground / preserved - 03/27/22 07:02 PM

Going through some old plastic pails, I ran across (roughly) 2.5 gallons of ground , preserved otter glands (anal) in the same (fresh) conditions as they were when I put them up in the early 2,000's. So, they are about 20 years old. Not sure what they are even worth. I don't have any use for them, but would like to sell or trade them.
I have caught coyote on them , just using them straight.
One friend says, "that's gold", but couldn't give me a price of any kind. Any idea ?
Not 100 % sure what I used to preserve them, but they still smell fresh to me.
Posted By: wormbobskey

Re: Otter Glands / ground / preserved - 04/06/22 05:38 PM

I would guess they're worth at least 4.00-5.00 an ounce just as a curiosity lure. Even more if they were a proven otter attractor.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Otter Glands / ground / preserved - 05/03/22 11:22 AM

pretty sorry for otter

cats and coyotes like them. a lot
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: Otter Glands / ground / preserved - 05/03/22 07:56 PM

I mix cat and otter glands, and a hint of Ambergris and it makes a decent lure in my humble opinion.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Otter Glands / ground / preserved - 05/17/22 03:19 AM

in my opinion otter glands are not good attractants for otter as it raises their alarm senses more than their curiosity. But I know for a fact that they work great for cats.
Posted By: WAUrbanTrapper

Re: Otter Glands / ground / preserved - 11/22/22 04:14 AM

I have caught at least a dozen otters on just pure otter gland but I'm still looking for a better lure. I see here that otter gland is good for cats so will try it. Thanks!
Posted By: MattLA

Re: Otter Glands / ground / preserved - 11/30/22 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
in my opinion otter glands are not good attractants for otter as it raises their alarm senses more than their curiosity. But I know for a fact that they work great for cats.

Interesting you say this, I just caught an otter the other day. It was still alive, and as I was walking around the pond, I saw a bobcat that was pursuing it run away! The otter got caught by the back end on the conibear, so that certainly is interesting you say that.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Otter Glands / ground / preserved - 12/01/22 05:11 AM

Several times I've caught cats where I had earlier caught an otter that sprayed the ground before it expired.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Otter Glands / ground / preserved - 12/02/22 12:54 AM

I agree with the Peeler.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Otter Glands / ground / preserved - 12/03/22 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
I agree with the Peeler.

Me too^^^
© 2024 Trapperman Forums