Home

Thinking agent

Posted By: Guss

Thinking agent - 04/21/22 02:55 PM

I'm making some bait and I was wondering what I could
use to get the bait to thicken up some?
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Thinking agent - 04/21/22 08:07 PM

I prefer a thickener that will add attraction to a formulation. Which will depend on the target species. That's the fun and challeng of lure making. Finding something that will do both.

What's your target animal and what is the base of your bait? A lot of times how you process your base can have a lot of influence on the thickness of your final product.

Re: Thinking agent - 04/22/22 01:45 AM

Beaver and bobcat meat and coyote gland mixed in Dobbins bait soulution.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Thinking agent - 04/22/22 03:17 AM

I'd figure out a way remove more of the moisture out of the red meat base if I wanted a thicker bait. But keep in mind the texture of the bait doesn't really have much effect on the attraction of the product to the animals. Sometimes I wonder if some liquid soaking into the ground isn't a good thing when it comes to coyotes.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Thinking agent - 04/22/22 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Guss
Beaver and bobcat meat and coyote gland mixed in Dobbins bait soulution.

That's strange. I hadn't noticed much liquid at all in the bait I make with it until it gets about 7 or 8 years old. Then it seems to exude some liquid. Usually the bait I make with it using beaver and bobcat has a rubbery dry texture. I do add glycerine when bottling, which gives it some freeze-proof quality.

Re: Thinking agent - 04/22/22 12:22 PM

I made it in a gallon jar and I put the whole bottle of bait solution in there.

Re: Thinking agent - 04/22/22 12:25 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Thinking agent - 04/22/22 05:41 PM

It seems like you have about a half gallon of meat and then a full pint of bait solution. My solution is a pint per gallon and I think Dobbins is the same. He can speak up on that for sure. That would likely make it a little wetter if the base is only half quantity to the prescribed amount. It shouldn't have any effect on useage in my opinion minus potentially being messier to deal with.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Thinking agent - 04/22/22 05:59 PM

It does appear that you only used a half gallon or so of meat. The pint of solution is for a gallon of meat. The lack of meat to solution ratio would cause it to be runny.

Re: Thinking agent - 04/22/22 07:11 PM

I put more beaver meat into it now it looks a little better.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums