Home

Why not skunk meat for bait base?

Posted By: DT63

Why not skunk meat for bait base? - 04/22/22 09:22 PM

We have an epidemic of skunks down this way. I typically catch 40-50 a year. I know how effective skunk essence is for coyotes, foxes and cats, and I also know how effective a covered bait with skunk is for most all predators. My question is has anyone tried using skunk meat as a bait base? Just looking to use the carcasses instead of tossing them. Seems like its a natural meal for most animals and most have a good grease/fat layer to them.

thinking about mixing up a batch with some Jamesons Bait Solution to see but don't want to waste my time if someone has been there done that.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Why not skunk meat for bait base? - 04/22/22 09:49 PM

I'd test it straight beside another straight meat that has known attraction. I'm pretty sure u could add Jamison's bait solution to bread and have a pretty good bait just because the solution itself has a lot of attraction. My point being if u mix skunk and the solution it's not really a fair test of how good skunk meat is. My method of dispatch contaminates the meat.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Why not skunk meat for bait base? - 04/23/22 12:03 PM

I use skunks for bait here if not given the shot on a pole when I get them, easy to stuff down a badger hole or a cut bank pocket set for cats and coyotes.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Why not skunk meat for bait base? - 04/24/22 10:07 PM

A skunk carcass is a killer bait for all predators especially in the colder temps. First used them in some 220 boxes in the late 90s and caught boar coon, red fox and even coyotes. With that said, watch using the carcasses around domestic pets.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Why not skunk meat for bait base? - 04/25/22 01:35 AM

I will say that a whole carcass animal at set has a little different attraction and curiosity than say just grinding the red meat and using it as a base in a bait. Give me a whole dead calf or lamb and I'll catch some coyotes but for a bait they don't test so great against some other bases. Why use a base that's only mediocre when there's better out there to use? Now with that said I've never tested ground skunk to know how good it is.
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Why not skunk meat for bait base? - 04/25/22 02:36 PM

Skunk meat base has tested well for me. I have seen a few guys also working with it as a base and it has tested well for them too. If you have th resource easily at hand then i say give it a go. That is the best use of resources in my book.
Posted By: DT63

Re: Why not skunk meat for bait base? - 04/29/22 03:21 PM

I don't have access to beaver or muskrat. I am making bait with the cats I trapped last year. I am also making up bait with some spoiled venison and also with rabbits, squirrel, gophers and rats I trap in my garden. I was just looking to use the meat from the skunks I catch. I have a hard time not trying to use the animals I take to the most extent possible. I will admit I was unsure how killing a skunk with acetone would affect the meat or tainting process. But in all reality, we use straight Everclear to tincture stuff so I would assume acetone would be like alcohol and would evaporate and not leave any remaining odors. I am going to give it a go and see how it works.
Posted By: papabear!

Re: Why not skunk meat for bait base? - 04/24/23 05:34 PM

Mr DT63, Here's a use for skunk carcasses that is as good anything you can buy. Take a couple of skunks (2 or 3) fit nicely in a five gallon bucket. Skin the skunk, remove the scent bags and extract the essence and trim off most of the fat from the carcass and save to make some skunk oil . Now remove the guts but save the liver. Take a hatchet and remove the head the tail and feet and discard. Chop the carcass into about six pieces and drop them into the 5-gallon bucket, add the liver an empty scent sack or two then put a sealed lid tightly on the bucket. Let the contents of the bucket rot down until it sounds like liquid sloshing around inside. Strain the liquid and discard the bones. The gooey liquid is a fabulous lure , or liquid bait all by itself. . or you could add enhancement if you so desire but definitely is not needed.
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Why not skunk meat for bait base? - 04/26/23 12:25 AM

There are a lot of bases that are not talked about. wink
© 2024 Trapperman Forums