Home

How cold does glycerin work?

Posted By: bearcat2

How cold does glycerin work? - 09/16/22 09:26 PM

I am making some bait and added glycerin to it to keep it from freezing. One batch has some other ingredients added so I knew it would be an experiment to see how much glycerin to add. But I had about 3 1/2 quarts of ground meat leftover that I lightly tainted and stopped with sodium benzoate. I added 12 ounces of glycerin to it and put it in the freezer to test along with the other bait. When I took them out both were frozen, the spiked bait I had added much less glycerin to, assuming I would have to add more through trail and error, but the pure meat was also frozen, not quite as hard, I could have chunked some out, but definitely too hard to scoop with a spoon.
I added another four ounces and will test again, but now I am wondering, how cold will glycerin work? Most freezer I think cool to around 0F, is there a point where glycerin will not keep meat from freezing?
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: How cold does glycerin work? - 09/17/22 12:00 AM

I add a good dose of glycerine to baits and urine and they don’t freeze in -40. I don’t know it’s limitations if it has any.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: How cold does glycerin work? - 09/17/22 01:55 AM

Every commercial lure I've put in the freezer froze solid and some of them came from reputable lure makers and trappers from some of the coldest parts of the lower 48. Kind of made me think the freezer might not be the best place to guage how much antifreeze to use in a formulation.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: How cold does glycerin work? - 09/17/22 03:44 AM

Pure glycerin freezes at 17°C (63°F). Lowering the freezing point is accomplished by mixing with water to a maximum ration of 66/34 (mass, not volume based) glycerin/water at which point the freezing point begins to rise again.
Note: specific gravity of: water = 1.00, glycerin = 1.26.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: How cold does glycerin work? - 09/17/22 02:12 PM

Our freezers drop into the minus single to double digit figures as they cycle daily. We have external thermometers and alarms mounted on all of them.

Most parts of the US rarely get that cold. Kansas was the coldest temps I have trapped in at -10 a couple of times. So putting lures in a freezer is not a good judge of a products on the line working temperture function.
Posted By: Mark McCary

Re: How cold does glycerin work? - 09/17/22 07:55 PM

Somewhere I read to use 20% glycerin by volume for antifreeze on Baits? Salmon/Trout Oil will help antifreeze a bait also! Plus it is a Great ingredient!!!
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: How cold does glycerin work? - 09/18/22 03:37 AM

I freezer test everything. Add glycerin until it stays workable.

Anyone who traps the entire winter season in the Dakotas or Minnesota (if the snow allows one to run all winter) has seen extended bouts of -20, -30, and often colder.

It takes a good bit of glycerin to keep baits/lures malleable in those temps.

A frozen gob of bait down a hole still produces smell. Just not as much as a soft gob. I’m less worried about that and more worried about being able to get it out of the jar and into the hole.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: How cold does glycerin work? - 09/19/22 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Boone Liane
I freezer test everything. Add glycerin until it stays workable.

Anyone who traps the entire winter season in the Dakotas or Minnesota (if the snow allows one to run all winter) has seen extended bouts of -20, -30, and often colder.

It takes a good bit of glycerin to keep baits/lures malleable in those temps.

A frozen gob of bait down a hole still produces smell. Just not as much as a soft gob. I’m less worried about that and more worried about being able to get it out of the jar and into the hole.

This here. I like the extra smell of the unfrozen bait but the being able to remove a proper sized chunk of bait out of the jar. We seldom have too much weather under zero, but extended periods of highs in the single digits and lows Right around zero, maybe a few degrees each direction.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: How cold does glycerin work? - 09/19/22 02:20 PM

I add it about 30% to homemade hooligan juice for a call lure. I live in a freezer. The lure bottle freezes below 0 somewhere. Above zero, not so bad.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: How cold does glycerin work? - 12/23/22 05:59 PM

TTT
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: How cold does glycerin work? - 02/05/23 01:01 AM

I mixed 1/3 grease in 3oz of lure, put it in the freezer over night still soft in the AM. Set the bottle aside for awhile to see if the smell changes, will try it on spring beaver if it still stinks!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums