Home

Lovage oil?

Posted By: bearcat2

Lovage oil? - 04/01/23 03:30 PM

Anybody ever use lovage oil? From what I read it is supposed to have a similar effect to asafoetida but has a very different odor to my nose. I never see it mentioned or listed in any of the various formulas floating around publicly, but it is sold by most lure ingredient suppliers. I got a little to play with, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Lovage oil? - 04/01/23 04:04 PM

I use it in two of my formulations. It's expensive though. I make an extract that's not as expensive as the oil, but I need to use more of it than oil.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Lovage oil? - 04/01/23 04:25 PM

I used it once in a coyote gland formulation. It was quite a few years ago when I first started playing this game. I was still doing the "throw some stuff together that sounded good " and seeing what happens. The gland formulation got positive results and I caught coyotes on it but I haven't gotten around to actually testing to see what Loveage itself adds or doesn't to a formulation. The way I used it , it might have made the formulation better or it might have made it less attractive or might have had a neutral effect. I hope ur right and it has the same effect as asafoetida.
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: Lovage oil? - 04/17/23 07:40 AM

Okay, what I have is a 1:2 ratio tincture (according to the lure maker who did the tincturing), what sort of proportions would be a good starting point to it in a gland lure? I know I'll have to test and adjust, but I'm just looking at a ballpark starting point. Really can't find any information on it as to how overpowering it might be in a lure as it ages in. (Some ingredients like castor or asafoetida, if you add enough to make a lure smell right and then let it age in, when you come back in six weeks and check it they will have overpowered everything else in the lure)
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Lovage oil? - 04/17/23 12:42 PM

The gland formulation I used it in, it was 3 or 4 drops per 1 pint of lure. But wouldn't say that the correct way to go as that was pretty early on in my lure making and I just throw a few things together and tested it. Though the formulation did seem to work at least decently.
Posted By: Mark McCary

Re: Lovage oil? - 04/17/23 10:54 PM

Winchester Coyote Gland ( Fox - Bobcat )
1quart coyote glands
1/2 quart coyote urine
1/2 quart glycerine
1/4 capful rue oil
1 capful ambrette musk
1/4 capful LOVAGE Oil
1 Teaspoon Asafoetida Powder

Bearcat, This is a Old one I found. Not a lot of info about Lovage Oil. I have some Lovage Powder and it smells mild compared to Asafoetida or Valerian?
Try some and see how it works.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums