Home

Ground Hog Liver+Kidney

Posted By: washxc

Ground Hog Liver+Kidney - 01/30/24 11:37 PM

We butchered 3 pigs with some friends last weekend and at the end of the day no one wanted the livers and kidneys. Seemed like a shame to pitch them. Since the grinder was already dirty I ground it all up and took it home. Ended up with about 1 1/3 gallons and it's been sitting in my basement since butcher day. Anyone played around with ground hog livers? It's got a great consistency and a unique smell. I was thinking about keeping some just plain/lightly tainted, and maybe doing a bait solution with the rest. I have not made my own canine bait before. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Mark McCary

Re: Ground Hog Liver+Kidney - 02/08/24 04:42 AM

This should be a fun project for you. I have not used the same ingredients that you are working with.
I have heard of some people liking Liver that has been aged for a long time? before preserving.
Liver can be tricky to work with I hear? It can get watery. Good Luck!
Posted By: washxc

Re: Ground Hog Liver+Kidney - 02/09/24 08:38 PM

Thanks Mark. I'm having fun. I added 1 1/3 cups of SB with a little warm water about 10 days ago and have been stirring it everyday. I feel like it's stabilized. It has a good smell and a good consistency, not too watery. But you're right, I'm afraid if I add bait solution like I had planned then it will be runny. Perhaps I'll just do a few test batches and add a little skunk or castor and see what happens!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums