Home

How much glycerin is too much?

Posted By: ChadDaniel

How much glycerin is too much? - 02/10/24 05:13 AM

I have some bobcat meat that I bought from Minnesota Trap Line. It’s a little dry. When trying to get it a good consistency can you just use glycerin or is there such a thing as too much glycerin in a meat bait?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/10/24 12:46 PM

Buy some trout oil from Bob Jameson. Glycerin lowers the freezing point. You don't really need that a lot of time. It actually reduces volitivity and is not an attractant. Good fish oil, (a lot of it is junk) is a great attractant and adds to a meat baits attractiveness. If you can get hold of some spoonbill or catfish belly fat it renders down into a really great product also.

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/10/24 03:44 PM

So I can buy the fish oil add it to the bobcat meet to get the consistency I would like and then keep it in my garage cool and out of the sunlight and it should be good for next season as well? The bobcat meat is already preserved.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/10/24 04:01 PM

I always listen when Danny gives advice. Buy the oil Danny recommends because as he stated not all fish oil is equal. Your bait won't be good next season it will be better.

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/10/24 08:26 PM

Sounds great
Posted By: bearcat2

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/11/24 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Buy some trout oil from Bob Jameson. Glycerin lowers the freezing point. You don't really need that a lot of time. It actually reduces volitivity and is not an attractant. Good fish oil, (a lot of it is junk) is a great attractant and adds to a meat baits attractiveness. If you can get hold of some spoonbill or catfish belly fat it renders down into a really great product also.

I like glycerin because it keeps stuff from freezing and unfrozen stuff smells stronger. Plus trying to get frozen lure or bait out of a jar can really raise a guys blood pressure. But Danny is correct, glycerin has no attraction of its own and if you don't need the antifreeze properties you are just diluting your bait.

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/11/24 04:03 AM

Thanks guys. I’m ordering some fish oil.

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/11/24 04:33 AM

Not saying it's never needed but I very rarely use it because I have positively proven to myself it reduces the attraction of a formulation. And I've run the test 3 different times using 4 to 6 sets each time to verify my findings because frankly I was having a hard believing it. How much does it affect the attraction? I cant say but i will say ive had formulations i know had it in there that tested very good. After pointing this out several times and suggesting it's over used in formulations as an antifreeze as there's usually other ingredients used in formulations that lower the freezing point to a level that the formulation is workable in most trapping situations I was told that isn't the case especially farther North. So I do what I normally do and tested this idea by sending lures to multiple trappers in the northern tier of the lower 48. Zero complaints on the workability of all of my formulations with the exception of one bait that was rather thick and has a natural tendency to dry out and get harder over a shorter time than I'd hoped for. I've done the freezer test on all my own stuff and about every commercial lure I've bought and they all freeze solid in a freezer. But even setting in the lure bag in the back of the truck were very workable after one night at -5.
I'd love to sell glycerin for 7.50 an ounce but if it doesn't improve the formulation and isn't needed it isn't going in it.
I've been told coyotes can get smart to certain odors commonly used in formulations and it got me think about if this could happen in any degree with glycerin because I'd bet it's used in a high percentage of formulations. I won't take a stand on that because I've never tested it and frankly it would be hard to test in my opinion.
If I had a really good formulation that needed it as a condioner or antifreeze and I couldn't come up with something else practical that would work without effecting the attraction would I look at using glycerin? Sure. But so far I haven't been there.
Just sharing for those intrested.

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/11/24 10:54 PM

Thanks YS. I have ordered the fish oil and am going to try that. I mixed up some pint jars with glycerin and they seem to do ok but I am not 100% sure that the amount I was using was hurting more than helping. I will mix the meat with the fish oil and we shall go from there. I highly doubt I will need the glycerin in my area. We do get pretty cold here in the higher country but not that cold.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/17/24 04:12 PM

Wow. This is some good info. I have been putting glycerin in my MB bobcat for a while now. Just needed to = Slick it up so it would go down a pipe. Fish oil? That would be a hard NO for me. I am in cattle. SO what else could I use to Wet up some dry bobcat ???

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/17/24 05:07 PM

Cattle have a nose like a bloodhound. EVERYTHING makes em curious. Fish oil is in every liquid protein I am aware of. Coyotes routinely lick those wheels too. Fired traps are IMO something you live with trapping cow pastures.

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/17/24 05:23 PM

Cattle have a nose like a bloodhound. EVERYTHING makes em curious. Fish oil is in every liquid protein I am aware of. Coyotes routinely lick those wheels too. Fired traps are IMO something you live with trapping cow pastures.

Same with deer. People say ingredient or that attracts more deer, but I've never found a top shelf coyote ingredient that doesn't attract deer. And I've looked. Even straight coyote glands attract the deer even though a lot of time on camera they jump when they first smell it if they are close. After there first initial bit of fear they must realize there isn't a coyote there then their darn curiosity kicks in. Going to quit making mock scrapes at my deer stands and just start putting in coyote sets. Lol

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/17/24 11:27 PM

So I mixed the 2 gallons of bobcat meat with 1/2 gallon of fish oil. Consistency is really good. That sun rendered fish oil is unlike anything I have smelled before. Pretty great stuff. I’m excited to use it and see how it does. I do have a question about storage. Do I just keep it out of the heat or does it need to be refrigerated or frozen. I’m assuming not but just want to be sure I don’t want to waste my product.

[Linked Image]

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/17/24 11:54 PM

if the meat is preserved just put a tight lid on it and put it away.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/18/24 12:27 AM

There is a reason USDA = has a mandate against = fish oil. Or fish oil based baits or lures used on M-44s. I spend as much time in cattle as anyone. And I know for a fact. Fish oil is the WORST thing you can use in cattle

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/18/24 02:55 AM

if the meat is preserved just put a tight lid on it and put it away.

Thanks

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/18/24 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by steeltraps

There is a reason USDA = has a mandate against = fish oil. Or fish oil based baits or lures used on M-44s. I spend as much time in cattle as anyone. And I know for a fact. Fish oil is the WORST thing you can use in cattle

This is interesting. I guess it is a good thing that I don’t have to deal with cattle.

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/18/24 03:04 AM

X2

Fish oil does seem to be about the worst though.

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/18/24 03:05 AM

Aargh!

X2 was to Seth's post, the quote didnt post (I assume operator error).
Originally Posted by Yes sir

Same with deer. People say ingredient or that attracts more deer, but I've never found a top shelf coyote ingredient that doesn't attract deer. And I've looked. Even straight coyote glands attract the deer even though a lot of time on camera they jump when they first smell it if they are close. After there first initial bit of fear they must realize there isn't a coyote there then their darn curiosity kicks in. Going to quit making mock scrapes at my deer stands and just start putting in coyote sets. Lol

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/18/24 05:52 AM

Some of you may not know but lots of beef producers use "licks". A tub with a lid that has wheels on top. The bottom of the wheel in a liquid supplement. Molasses is usually one of the ingredients also. Cows (and coyotes) lick the wheels. Cows sure enough get used to slurping on fish oil. Just like yes sirs deer though they want to sniff everything.
Posted By: Mark McCary

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/18/24 07:00 PM

C.D. Your bait is looking good!
Bobcat meat is pretty dry and can really soak up the oil.
If possible store the bait in a cool spot out of the sun, cover it too keep the fly's off the bucket.
It is always a Good idea to check on baits when the summer heat arrives. If there is a problem it will show up with the warm weather?
Internet says Trout oil freezes at -47 f. so you should be fine without the Glycerine.
Glycerine freeze's at -36 f. they say? Good Luck!!!

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/19/24 02:28 AM

Thanks!!!!
Posted By: yukonal

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 02/27/24 03:47 PM

You can store it in a cool, or shaded spot. I store mine on a shelf in a shed. It gets to 95 in the summer, and below freezing in the winter. Made a couple different batches in 5 gal buckets 6 or 7 years ago, and they just keep getting better. I'll probably never use all I have. Same with quality urine. I add some glycerin to it, and keep it in a 5 gal bucket with the lid on, and store it in the same shed.

I trap in freezing weather, so bait, lure, and urine get spiked with glycerin.
Posted By: Thumb Catcher

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 03/11/24 09:46 PM

What about Mold?

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 03/12/24 02:02 AM

methyl paraben is good for preventing mold

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 03/12/24 02:04 AM

https://joshsfrogs.com/sp/methyl-paraben-1-lb-jf00518
Posted By: Thumb Catcher

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 03/12/24 02:32 AM

Thank you
Posted By: wildturkey

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 03/22/24 02:11 PM

Would salmon oil work ?

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 03/22/24 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by ChadDaniel
So I mixed the 2 gallons of bobcat meat with 1/2 gallon of fish oil. Consistency is really good. That sun rendered fish oil is unlike anything I have smelled before. Pretty great stuff. I’m excited to use it and see how it does. I do have a question about storage. Do I just keep it out of the heat or does it need to be refrigerated or frozen. I’m assuming not but just want to be sure I don’t want to waste my product.

[Linked Image]

Wildturkey, this is a Better option for you imho.
Sun rendered oil has a much stronger smell.
Posted By: wildturkey

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 03/23/24 02:05 AM

Thanks. I had some salmon oil I had found at a trapping shop on vacation in Idaho last summer. thought it might come in handy sometime. Looks like trout is the one most are using.

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 03/23/24 10:46 AM

Looks like trout is the one most are using.

It doesn't have to be trout oil. Trout oil is superior to pressed oil. Bob sells a good product. Letting those big gobs of fat in the abdomen of spoonbill or flatheads, self render or even rendered on a low heat on the stove are good too.
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 03/23/24 12:56 PM

Love that black spoony oil

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 03/23/24 03:39 PM

Who sells Spoonbill Oil sun rendered ????
Pint size or bigger! Thanks.

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 03/23/24 04:34 PM

The paddlefish research station in Miami OK is closed. I believe that is where Carlis got what he sold. Lots of laws governing spoonbill. Might not be legal to sell paddle fish parts from fish you caught with a sport license.

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 03/23/24 04:41 PM

https://www.newson6.com/story/64826...ng-paddlefish-research-by-selling-caviar
Posted By: KYBOY

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 03/23/24 04:44 PM

last guy I knew selling paddlefish oil was Matt Jones but he's a commercial fisherman so he has more access. We can harvest paddlefish here in Ky

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 03/23/24 05:13 PM

We can only sport fish for them here. 2 month season and 6 tags a year. There really are a lot of regs on selling paddlefish parts due to the caviar. One good male will have a quart plus of oil after the fat is rendered.
Posted By: KYBOY

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 03/23/24 06:29 PM

here in Ky we can sportfish and catch 2 per day, commercial fisherman can get a license to commercially catch roe bearing fish like paddlefish, though they must fill out a daily report of what they catch..I don't know what their limit is
I wish I lived a part of Ky where there was a good population
Posted By: Willoughby

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 04/30/24 12:59 AM

what part of the paddlefish (spoonbill cat) do you use to sun render oil from the belly?
Posted By: Oakey

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 05/01/24 02:32 PM

Don’t forget salt as an antifreeze in bait or combination of glycerin and salt and all depending on how cold your climate is. As far as smell a black lab can find a 3 year old antler shed under 3’ of snow so a coyote can sure smell a tainted frozen bait in a dirt hole. 2 drops of good lure up top will be smelled with ease. Some argue against long range lure up high near set but that makes no sense to me. It will reach out farther and pull an animal in to where it will easily smell a frozen solid bait in n a dirt hole. Of course the best set and bait in the world does no good in poor locations.

Re: How much glycerin is too much? - 05/02/24 12:08 AM

Willoughby, in the abdomen of male paddle fish there is a huge amount of fat. That fat fat renders into a wonderful oil
© 2024 Trapperman Forums