Home

elderberries?

Posted By: Otis

elderberries? - 06/27/12 09:34 PM

Ok so has anyone actually MADE or drank elderberry wine or jam? I planted some bout 6 years ago and forgot them till last summer. Not sure what to do with them at this point. Looking for uses so they don't end up like my chokecherries as bird food.
Posted By: stan meyers

Re: elderberries? - 06/28/12 12:36 AM

never made wine, but have consumed a bottle or so good stuff and elderberry jelly is great.
Posted By: bic

Re: elderberries? - 06/28/12 12:49 AM

I make Elderberry wine every year. My wife also makes Elderberry jelly. It is my family's favorite. I even gave Paul a jar to sample last week end.
Posted By: Jeffrey D Norris

Re: elderberries? - 07/26/12 05:05 AM

My mom made jelly every year I'm out mom passed away in 07. The berries are on if the birds don't get them... I need to get some jelly made up...
Posted By: Idtrapper

Re: elderberries? - 07/28/12 12:59 PM

The Wife makes Elderberry jelly every couple years - If you find that it is too tart for you just add a little grape juice in to sweeten it up...Good Stuff.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: elderberries? - 07/28/12 04:54 PM

My wife makes the jelly. My bother used to sell berries to a guy who then sold them for wine making. He bought them much like a fur buyer buys fur. The man has been dead for years and I know of nobody that buys them now--oh well, today's kids probably wouldn't pick them anyway.
Posted By: krank

Re: elderberries? - 07/28/12 10:17 PM

Road ditches were full of elderberries this spring. I think the drought might have kilt them as I havent noticed any purple berries. I make wine but will say that it reaches its prime in a couple years (not to say you cant drink it right off) I dont think you are supposed to eat eldererries raw......
Posted By: mav

Re: elderberries? - 09/05/12 05:08 AM

google either elderberry wine or jam receipts if not sure. have had some of each and both delic.. tip for wine, add xtra lemon.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: elderberries? - 09/06/12 03:19 AM

My girlfriend makes elderberry jelly and elderberry syrup.

It takes a lot of pectin to make the jelly solidify.

The syrup is good on pancakes and looks a lot like blood.

This year, because of the drought, many of the elderberrys fell off without ripening. I cut off about a bucket and a half of bunches, but we only got 5 half pints of jelly and 5 half pints of syrup.

Keith
Posted By: MTDave71

Re: elderberries? - 10/03/12 07:19 PM

We dry ours, and keep them in an airtight glass jar. Mix some in with your pancake mix. It is a real treat. We don't really get enough to make jelly, so we dry them. They are potent and it just takes a tablespoon or two of dried berries to really add to the pancakes. They keep well, too, we have some that we forgot about in the back of the cabinet that were 5 - 6 years old, and still great!

Dave
Posted By: Outdoorsy25

Re: elderberries? - 10/06/12 10:30 PM

I made wine, and jelly from the berries. But there is something that is more tasty. I harvest the flowers and I make syrup from it to drink.
Posted By: BudGuidry

Re: elderberries? - 03/13/13 01:07 AM

you can also make elderflower wine with the bloosums
Posted By: trappertom52

Re: elderberries? - 03/16/13 01:30 PM

Also makes excellent pie.
Posted By: Adam H

Re: elderberries? - 03/16/13 02:06 PM

Elderberry wine and jelly are our favorites. We have used cultivated (adams and johns) as well as wild for both. Wild cherries are also excellent, but our favorite use is in making cherry bounce. Apple pie (not the pastry) is good also.
Posted By: TNtrapper

Re: elderberries? - 03/17/13 02:28 AM

Never had he wine...but the jellys are great!
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: elderberries? - 03/17/13 02:59 AM

They do make excellent pie as Tom52 said. I have a huge swampy area that I pick them from. I always pick way more than we care to clean so I give them to family and friends. I always get a piece of pie and sometimes even a whole pie in return. A little old lady of 96 makes the best pie though hands down.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums