Home

Big ginseng!!

Posted By: RM trapper

Big ginseng!! - 08/29/18 01:58 AM

I posted on the trapper talk and one of the guys recommended I put it on here. While working today I found a small patch of big plants, most were 4 prongs but at the top of the line of plants was a beautiful 6 prong with 2 berry pods. I've hunted ginseng since I was a kid and this was the first time I've ever seen one. I ask the property owner if I could dig it and he let me so I brought it home and put it in the woods below the house where I've transplanted a couple hundred over the past 10 years
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Big ginseng!! - 08/29/18 11:46 AM

Do you have any idea what the root will weigh when it's dried?

Re: Big ginseng!! - 08/29/18 12:11 PM

I'd say a couple ounces, the biggest i ever dug weighed 7 ounces dried and it was absolutely huge. I will try to find some pics of it
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Big ginseng!! - 08/30/18 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By: RM trapper
I'd say a couple ounces, the biggest i ever dug weighed 7 ounces dried and it was absolutely huge. I will try to find some pics of it
shocked shocked shocked shocked sounds like a dandy!!!
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Big ginseng!! - 09/02/18 03:14 PM

ive heard of 6 prongers but that's the first one I ever saw ! dug a few 5 prongers but few and far between! Ive gave up gigging sang to many diggers that don't care! Don't plant back seeds dig to small of plants.In it for the $$$$ not the enjoyment

Re: Big ginseng!! - 09/02/18 04:46 PM

I agree Tony, the last season I dug I found a really nice area way back in and dug 10# out of there and left 1,000s of small plants. A local digger found out and went back the next year and dug all the small stuff I left, people are greedy. I dig it and bring it to my property now and replant
© 2024 Trapperman Forums