Home

Lead root ginseng?

Posted By: Cibarius

Lead root ginseng? - 09/17/20 05:03 PM

So I found a patch of nice old plants. Some of the roots are normal size for southern mn. Some are huge, like 3-4 ounces. The big roots have about 2 inches of normal size growth rings then they get big, like 1/2 inch diameter. My buyer wouldn’t take the large roots, he called them lead root. Anyone heard of this?
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Lead root ginseng? - 09/17/20 10:14 PM

never heard of that. Find a different buyer.
Posted By: Computer Hater

Re: Lead root ginseng? - 09/17/20 10:34 PM

Chances are that the roots got an infusion of sunlight causing the roots to grow extra big and for the neck growth to get bigger also. A tree or two could have fallen or possibly the woods has been timbered recently causing the extra sunlight. I would look for a new buyer. If those roots have some age to them they should be perfectly fine. I have sold many over the years that I think match yours from your description. The Chinese like roots that are big and bulby and light as a feather. Those roots bring a premium. Yours should still sell for the wild price with a good mix of other roots.

Did your buyer offer to buy them at a greatly reduced price?

I dug 40 pounds of dried root one year. No that isn't a misprint. I grew it as wild simulated. I had some roots that grew pretty big and were only 8 years old. They were getting more sunlight than usual. They dried heavy and darker than normal. I sold 32 of the 40 pounds of roots to 3 different buyers. They graded out the heavy dark roots. I ended up with 8 pounds of the unwanted roots. I was offered $20.00 a pound for them. I held them until the next year. The market got really hot that year. One of the buyers called me and asked if I still had those roots and offered me $340.00 a pound for them. I sold them and he was able to sell them for $450.00 a pound a few months later. I was glad to get the extra money and was glad he was able to move them at a good profit. He took a big chance since they were only worth $20.00 the year before!!!

Re: Lead root ginseng? - 09/18/20 12:45 PM

He did not offer to buy them. He offered to send them to auction for me to see if someone will buy them. He also said “ you never know, some times they will buy as wild grown”. I am very happy with my buyer here in Owatonna!

Re: Lead root ginseng? - 09/18/20 08:23 PM

If you know how, post pictures of the roots.

Re: Lead root ginseng? - 09/18/20 11:01 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Lead root ginseng? - 09/18/20 11:02 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Lead root ginseng? - 09/19/20 01:04 AM

I wouldn't have any trouble selling those roots at the wild price here.

They aren't bulby roots, which are the most desired, but they aren't bad. Sold many roots similar to those over the years and never had them graded out..
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Lead root ginseng? - 10/17/20 10:19 AM

The only thing I ever got dinged for was the buyer said I washed the roots too much. Im no Seng expert but Ive dug a lot of Seng over the years and it seemed fine to me. Probably will not sell to that buyer again. We have dug in clearcuts a few years old and sometimes, as mentioned the Seng will grow big and fast. Still never got dinged on price. Down hear in WNC Ive just never heard of buyers grading Seng, just wet or dry, or too clean or dirty. On a separate note Ive heard Seng is supposed to be very high in price this year?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums