Home

Ireland

Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Ireland - 07/17/16 04:30 AM

Anyone live there now? Thinking I'm gonna visit the mother land eventually. I'll be whizzed off if I die before I do.
Posted By: Eddie43

Re: Ireland - 07/17/16 08:01 AM

Ain't many trappers around here, or much to trap for that matter, but it's still worth a visit. grin

Re: Ireland - 07/20/16 05:25 AM

Eddie, I've got family in County Claire. I've been dying to get out there. Where abouts are ya?

Re: Ireland - 07/20/16 08:18 AM

Clare is a lovely part of the country. I've got a trapping buddy ( which I've never met, lol), who lives in Clare, and he traps big number mink. Say's the place is walking with them.

I'm living in Co Offaly, in the midlands, about two and a half hours drive from Clair, which is a long drive in this country.lol

Re: Ireland - 07/20/16 12:05 PM

My family there is extended. My great grandfather came here in the 1920s. I'm still going to knock on the door at the farm one day and demand a beer and a bed. Lol. I reckon you can stay here since you're from the mother land.

Re: Ireland - 07/20/16 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: USMC47
My family there is extended. My great grandfather came here in the 1920s. I'm still going to knock on the door at the farm one day and demand a beer and a bed. Lol. I reckon you can stay here since you're from the mother land.

Sure give it a go USMC47! But mind, you may be met with a shotgun at the door. Lol
Posted By: Aaron.F

Re: Ireland - 07/21/16 01:11 PM

I visited Ireland about 5 years ago, best trip ever. Spent the mornings and afternoon looking at ruins, castles, and cathedrals with the evenings ending in the pubs. My wife and I went with another couple, prices are very reasonable.

Re: Ireland - 07/21/16 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Aaron.F
I visited Ireland about 5 years ago, best trip ever. Spent the mornings and afternoon looking at ruins, castles, and cathedrals with the evenings ending in the pubs. My wife and I went with another couple, prices are very reasonable.

Yes, myself and my Mrs like visiting the castles too. We have one on our doorstep called Charleville Castle, which is said to be haunted.
Posted By: Badgerman50

Re: Ireland - 07/22/16 02:30 PM

My mom was born and raised in Belfast. We used to go visit my grandparents there when I was a kid. That was in the late 70's and the thick of the "troubles". So we'd spend a few days in Belfast and the bulk of our time in Waterford. Good memories.

Re: Ireland - 07/24/16 03:26 AM

Well, I don't want to get shot. Maybe I'll send a letter first. Lol.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Ireland - 02/23/18 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Eddie43
Clare is a lovely part of the country. I've got a trapping buddy ( which I've never met, lol), who lives in Clare, and he traps big number mink. Say's the place is walking with them.

Do they use the mink they trap there or throw them away.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Ireland - 02/23/18 01:21 AM

Lots of wildlife in the Burren.

Re: Ireland - 02/25/18 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: LT GREY
Originally Posted By: Eddie43

Do they use the mink they trap there or throw them away.

Sadly there is no longer an outlet for furs here, and the skill of skinning etc is all but lost. Mink are seen as both a pest and invasive species, and there is a small government bounty on them.

It is a real pity because I get some really nice primed mink during the winter period, which for the most part get wasted.

Re: Ireland - 02/25/18 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Boco

Yes I believe so, but have never been.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Ireland - 03/13/18 09:30 AM

Eddie are there many 6'5 men running around Ireland with a flat top hair cut? lol That describes Usmc47....
Ireland sounds wonderful just wish Wild Fur was better marketed...sad to waste it.

Re: Ireland - 03/13/18 09:38 AM

Originally Posted By: MChewk
Eddie are there many 6'5 men running around Ireland with a flat top hair cut? lol That describes Usmc47....
Ireland sounds wonderful just wish Wild Fur was better marketed...sad to waste it.

Lol If there are, they sure ain't knocking on people's doors looking to move in lol

Yea it's a real pity about the furs. Our fox's are for the most part on the large side, and their coates are pretty decent too. Fox is top predator here, and even though they are hunted year round, numbers remain very high.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Ireland - 03/17/18 12:29 AM

My Grandmother's mother was from Belfast too. She and her siblings came here over 100 years ago. The rest of them are in Saskatchewan .
Posted By: Guy Johnson

Re: Ireland - 01/24/19 05:45 PM

I lived in Skibereen for awhile back in the late 90's and out where we were around Loch Hyne and over towards Baltimore Harbour were a ton of fox, never heard of anyone running them or trapping them while I was there but I always thought it would be amazing to be able to trap there. I heard from the locals that there were otter there also however I never saw one but did used to see a lot of clam shells around the Loch. Amazing Country and People, it's a hard lot over there!
Posted By: Wanbli

Re: Ireland - 01/27/19 05:43 PM

I've a wee bit of the Leprechaun blood in me veins as well. My Forsythe ancestors emigrated from Derry, Co. Cork in 1784. They landed in Pennsylvania where I grew up a few hundred years after they settled down in central PA. Now I've moved on west, even farther from the Emerald Isle. I sure would love to go there someday, take my daughters and all.

Eddie43, would there be much in it for you and other trappers to learn to tan the mink yourself and sell them as finished fur? That seems to be my only use for beaver and muskrats these days. Nobody wants them so I make use of them myself.

Andrew

Re: Ireland - 01/27/19 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Wambli

Eddie43, would there be much in it for you and other trappers to learn to tan the mink yourself and sell them as finished fur? That seems to be my only use for beaver and muskrats these days. Nobody wants them so I make use of them myself.

Andrew

It's something I've always wanted to do. I actually have a couple of those red bottles in the shed I want to use on a nice fox whenever I get one. Didn't set any fox snares this year, so hopefully next. As a practice, it's just not done here. There aint even many who know how to skin a fox, mink etc. It's a shame, and I hate to see the fur go to waste. I'm sure there would be interest here for tanned pelts, but the market would be small. You'd probably have to sell on eBay, etsy etc, or go to Game Fairs (similar to conventions) etc. On the other hand, with it being such a rare thing over here, a guy could probably make a few bucks selling tanned furs. He wouldn't have much competition.

To be honest, I'm afraid for the future, the way things are going. There is a big anti hunting vibe building over here, and being part of the European Union aint helping. Way to many restrictions reguarding hunting and trapping, it's just frustrating to say the least, when other country's can tell you how to hunt or trap. I hope you guys stand up for what you have, because if you give an inch, they will take a mile.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Ireland - 02/03/19 02:55 AM

I was wondering if Ireland is involved in the British exit from the eu? Not trying to sound ignorant but I’m just not sure, and yes you do have a beautiful country the movie the Quiet Man made me want to go see it.

Re: Ireland - 02/03/19 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
I was wondering if Ireland is involved in the British exit from the eu? Not trying to sound ignorant but I’m just not sure, and yes you do have a beautiful country the movie the Quiet Man made me want to go see it.

Yes we are involved, but it's complicated. The Republic of Ireland is still in the Eu, but Northern Ireland is leaving, and this is causing a big big problem. It's hard explain it, so this video might help explain better than I can.

Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Ireland - 02/08/19 01:48 AM

That is a mess, that would be about like iowa trying to leave the u.s., now I see why people are complaining. Thank you for the info.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Ireland - 04/04/19 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Boco

Must have been hiding under all the rocks.

I'll recommend New Grange, B.S. ing with fishermen on the Moy , Trim Castle tour, and a B and B on the ocean in Galway. Too many tourist at the Moher cliffs for my taste. Good Luck!

[Linked Image]

Re: Ireland - 04/04/19 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa

Bob, The Republic of Ireland has flourished with EU money. Be stupid for them to get out. IMO. Drive around the Republic of Ireland and all you see is signs that say paid for by the EU. Beautiful new freeways and refurbished tourist attractions and way too many round abouts.

P.S. I hope the Irish still despise the British anyway. They should!

Re: Ireland - 04/04/19 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Boco

Must have been hiding under all the rocks.

I'll recommend New Grange, B.S. ing with fishermen on the Moy , Trim Castle tour, and a B and B on the ocean in Galway. Too many tourist at the Moher cliffs for my taste. Good Luck!

[Linked Image]

Out of the places you've mentioned, i've only been to the moy for the fishing. Lots of B.S as you say lol. Most common words spoken there is, " Should a been here last week" lol.

Re: Ireland - 04/04/19 07:51 PM

I was watching guys fishing in Ballina and B.S. ing with a guy from Belfast who was waiting for his appointed hour (or Two) in a hole. I think I watched 3 guys fly fishing for salmon for a couple of hours; catching nothing. I still had fun. Went to the local tackle shop and bought some polish made spoons that have never caught anything for me. grin

[Linked Image]

Re: Ireland - 04/04/19 09:19 PM

I found some pictures.

[Linked Image]

The burren.

[Linked Image]

Newgrange

[Linked Image]

Trim castle

[Linked Image]

Fishing in Ballina

[Linked Image]

And a picture of the sign at the Moher cliffs everybody ignores. Lot less stickers 9 years ago.

Re: Ireland - 04/04/19 09:32 PM

Some nice pictures there Dirt. Yes, the ridge pool in Ballina. I've fished the other side of the bridge. I done most my salmon fishing in Foxford though, which is not too far away from Ballina. There are quieter places to fish on the river, but hard find.

Re: Ireland - 04/04/19 10:18 PM

Do you get the fishing magazine "Hooked on the Moy"? I picked up a copy at I believe Ballina Angling Centre and talked a bunch of fishing with Michael or Paddy? My copy has a bunch of info on the Foxford fishery.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Ireland - 04/05/19 01:09 AM

Did you try some poteen?They make some smooth poteen in the west.They use seaweed in the mash to take the fire out.
I fished the Barrow at home years ago with my uncles.Pike ,trout and salmon in the past.Trout were stocked.
Mothers family is from Mayo.

Re: Ireland - 04/05/19 03:00 AM

I don't know what poteen is, but I would have hit it hard every night after supervising my nutty mother and hormonal teenage daughter during the daily cat fights. Many pints of Guinness every night seemed to help me relax after a long day of supervision. smile

Re: Ireland - 04/05/19 05:45 AM

Poteen is the Irish equivalent to moonshine. There is now a legal Poteen which can be bought off the shelf, but if you really want to experience it, you gotta taste the homemade stuff. Some are made better than others, and some are often watered down. The real stuff would take your breath away lol.

Re: Ireland - 04/05/19 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dirt
Do you get the fishing magazine "Hooked on the Moy"? I picked up a copy at I believe Ballina Angling Centre and talked a bunch of fishing with Michael or Paddy? My copy has a bunch of info on the Foxford fishery.

No never seen the magazine. There is a facebook page I believe, ( Not on FB myself) from the tackle shop in Foxford. Tiernan Brothers I think it's called. They have lots of up to date info on how the river is fishing. Lots if nice photo's too. Sort of a tradition for anglers to call in for a photo if they catch anything.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums