Home

lanes dog trap

Posted By: 2 TRAPS

lanes dog trap - 11/07/16 10:42 PM

Where could man get him an original lanes dog trap? Any info would be appreciated.
Posted By: alpine hunter

Re: lanes dog trap - 11/08/16 01:22 AM

You on Facebook? I can send you in the right direction if you are.
They are reasonably common but still sell for AU$100-200 depending on who and where it is being sold. They are the commonest of the Australian "dog traps" (Dog = dingo).

Re: lanes dog trap - 11/08/16 01:43 AM

Thank you pm sent

Re: lanes dog trap - 11/10/16 02:05 AM

Do you have pictures of them. We're there different ones with different pans jaw spread?etc?
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: lanes dog trap - 11/10/16 03:22 AM

I've got one that I won in a trapperman auction years ago. They make a GREAT beaver trap. Can't believe that they sell for that much these days.

Re: lanes dog trap - 11/10/16 08:16 AM

The Lanes dog trap is a specific model that is always the same apart from minor variations. They all have the same jaw size. There are differences in stamps on the plate but it's the same basic design.
There are newer rubber jaw versions as well.

There are dozens of other double long spring traps that were used here for dingo control. They come in a bunch of sizes and brands and are highly sought after.

I will search out some pics.
First up is a newer rubber jaw lanes in the process of being set.

Re: lanes dog trap - 11/10/16 08:18 AM

Another comparison pic pulled from an article I did for a hunting mag.

Re: lanes dog trap - 11/12/16 10:44 PM

Any pics of the stainless steel lanes

Re: lanes dog trap - 11/13/16 08:19 AM

No pics of the new lanes. It is a coil spring trap that is about 6 inch jaw spread.
Not a very successful trap - lots of issues.

Re: lanes dog trap - 11/14/16 09:02 AM

I raided my trap cache and got some extra photos.
Top trap is an older English made trap with forged springs. There are lots of variations and sizes of these and they are very collectible.
Mid trap is the original Lanes Dog Trap.
Bottom is the New Lanes made from stainless (with alloy pan and regular springs).

Posted By: NorthernOutdoors

Re: lanes dog trap - 11/26/16 08:34 AM

Thank you for the photos, those are some big traps for sure!

Re: lanes dog trap - 11/30/16 03:38 PM

What are the issues with stainless lanes. It looks like very nice trap.

Re: lanes dog trap - 11/30/16 03:44 PM

Also I see when you made that set with the lanes rubber jaw trap you have the springs stuck straight out. Is designed to set that way. Most longs you crank the spring towards the dog to get the loose jaw to lay flat. Can you not set the lanes this way?

Re: lanes dog trap - 12/01/16 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: 2 TRAPS
What are the issues with stainless lanes. It looks like very nice trap.

The rubber padding falls out when the trap fires, the levers get jammed in the closed position, the pan breaks off, the swivel attachment breaks off the base, pan tension is very hard to adjust, there is no way to make fine tuning adjustments with the trap (like levelling the pan)...

Originally Posted By: 2 TRAPS
Also I see when you made that set with the lanes rubber jaw trap you have the springs stuck straight out. Is designed to set that way. Most longs you crank the spring towards the dog to get the loose jaw to lay flat. Can you not set the lanes this way?

They are reasonably forgiving with which way the springs can be placed. I vary where they go based on the set - to avoid rocks/tree roots/ hard ground, to reduce the chance of the target stepping on the spring and maybe noticing something not right, to keep natural guiding in place...

I've got hold of a steel jaw lanes to trade. It's got a bit of surface rust but I will get a wire brush onto it and it should come up fine. Straight from a large cattle station up north. (Station = ranch)
Posted By: aus-trapper

Re: lanes dog trap - 01/15/18 01:15 AM

hi are they the double handle ones and how much could i get one for and how much are the new lanes and were do you get them thankyou,,
Posted By: Macca

Re: lanes dog trap - 03/28/22 02:09 PM

Hi mate ,l am glad you put the Lanes trap to good use ,
Do you have a photo with a beaver in the trap ?
Alan
Posted By: Macca

Re: lanes dog trap - 03/28/22 02:13 PM

Lanes traps are still being manufactured here in Western Australia by Stock Brand and l believe John was talking about making a trap out of stainless steel .
Posted By: newhouse114

Re: lanes dog trap - 04/06/22 12:59 AM

Hey Alan! I did have a picture but it seems to have disappeared a few years ago.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums