Home

Germany

Posted By: Schinderberg

Germany - 05/30/19 05:02 PM

Any germans around?
Posted By: TheBig1

Re: Germany - 05/30/19 05:10 PM

I wish that I still lived there but I don't.
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Germany - 06/04/19 01:09 AM

Es gibt immer Deutsche.
Posted By: Buckhunter2

Re: Germany - 06/17/19 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by star flakes
Es gibt immer Deutsche.

Yes "there are always Germans around", but what do you trap?
Posted By: Eddie43

Re: Germany - 06/17/19 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Buckhunter2
Originally Posted by star flakes
Es gibt immer Deutsche.

Yes "there are always Germans around", but what do you trap?

Yes always interesting to hear what is trapped in other country's, and what traps are used. I know Germany use some interesting type traps, especially for fox.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Germany - 07/08/19 01:07 AM

We spent two weeks in and around Frankfurt two years ago.

I had hoped (even posted here) to meet a German Trapper while we were there, but no luck.

Tell us about trapping there!
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Germany - 08/10/19 10:45 PM

I second white marlin. What do you trap? What type of traps do you use or are you allowed to use?
Posted By: Schinderberg

Re: Germany - 09/09/19 07:08 PM

Most traps used in Germany catch game alive. Since Germany is much smaller then the States or Canada there‘s always a town or village nearby. Means lots of cats and dogs and people in the woods.

Some of the traps look like this.

[Linked Image]

Snares and foodholds are forbidden.

I personally use a few conibears for marten and coon.

Trapping had a bad image for some time, but it‘s getting better.

Don‘t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Germany - 09/15/19 11:11 AM

That's quite the live trap I've never seen anything like that before very interesting to say the least .

My mom was a genealogy researcher and on my dad's side with help she found relatives of mine as far back as 1300 in Germany sadly I don't know how to speak German.

Enjoy your day and Stay Safe out there !
Allan
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Germany - 09/28/19 01:53 PM

I second what Allan said. Very interesting. My back hurts just thinking about packing that into the woods. grin
Posted By: conibearguy

Re: Germany - 10/03/19 02:46 PM

Would love to see pictures of some of your results. Overseas trapping has always amazed me.

Re: Germany - 10/04/19 01:53 PM

Some YouTube video's showing some interesting traps from Germany

Re: Germany - 10/04/19 01:55 PM

Few more

Posted By: longrangekilla

Re: Germany - 12/20/19 04:46 AM

My maternal grandparents were 100% German. They spoke German amongst themselves so I can understsnd some. My Grandps was in ww2 in the 1st LAH division . They were rabid Catholics and attended mass 3x a week. I have his dogtag and rosary from the war. Unfortunately he died while I was in high school.
Posted By: J.C.

Re: Germany - 02/09/20 02:07 AM

I lived there for 13 years on and off I loved every minute of it. I'd write in German but can only speak it functionally. Had to wait till I made it back to the states to get into trapping.
Posted By: TrapperLibrarian

Re: Germany - 11/09/20 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Schinderberg
Most traps used in Germany catch game alive. Since Germany is much smaller then the States or Canada there‘s always a town or village nearby. Means lots of cats and dogs and people in the woods.

Some of the traps look like this.

[Linked Image]

Snares and foodholds are forbidden.

I personally use a few conibears for marten and coon.

Trapping had a bad image for some time, but it‘s getting better.

Don‘t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.

What is the process in Germany to become a licensed trapper there? Is there public land to trap on or can you only trap on private land with permission from the property owner? Are there professional trappers there? A close Dutch friend said professional trappers are hired to trap muskrats on the dikes in the Netherlands. Is it similar in Germany with professional trapping?
Posted By: RockCrick

Re: Germany - 11/10/20 03:23 PM

After watching the videos posted, why is there so much that goes into the construction of the traps? Concrete pipes and all that lumber, why not just use regular cages or even build larger cages if a large trap is desired?

Re: Germany - 11/11/20 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by RockCrick
After watching the videos posted, why is there so much that goes into the construction of the traps? Concrete pipes and all that lumber, why not just use regular cages or even build larger cages if a large trap is desired?

Im not sure. I do know that trapping regulations are very strict in Germany. Maybe only certain area's can be trapped, and these tunnels would draw fox's to a location. I've seen pictures of traditional permanent wooden tunnels (above ground) from Europe, where a wooden trap is placed one end of the tunnel. Maybe these concrete tunnels and wire mesh traps are the modern version of these traps. Either way, I can't see how it would be worth going to all that trouble.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Germany - 04/06/21 01:00 AM

I have stayed in line cabins not much bigger than the big trap made out of wood.LOL.
Posted By: YaYa

Re: Germany - 01/29/22 10:03 PM

Back in the 80s I was stationed in Germany on a nuke site near a really big pine forest. At night we would often see what looked like a fisher or Sable climb our double fence and raid our garbage bin. What is it?
It was a very dark brown but I never got close enough to see any other markings.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Germany - 07/21/22 12:03 AM

I'm forth generation German over here, when we came to the US in 1863. My folks were fluent in German, but didn't pass it on to me. About all I learned in German was to cuss a bit by osmosis! lol

On an interesting note, the Steinmeier that was/is in the German government, is shirtail relation to me, but not sure of the exact association. I know my ancestors changed the spelling when they immigrated. My sister researched the connection back when he was Merkles right hand man!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums