Home

any and all fleshing beams PICS

Posted By: board stretcher

any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/15/15 12:41 AM

i have seen many fleshing beams now and i was hoping to start a thread of just fleshing beams, i will start.

as you can see i like mine at a heavie angle and i also made mine so it is portable.

anyone else want to goin in on this
Posted By: motrapper87

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/15/15 03:59 AM

Thanks for starting this one buddy really gonna give me some new ideas

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/15/15 05:06 AM

thanks, i was really hoping some of the guys would go in on this and show as many as possible.
Posted By: MT bowhunter

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/15/15 05:33 AM

PVC beam I use. It is a pulling beam as opposed to a pushing beam. Easy on the back and really easy to clean up.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/15/15 04:59 PM

I just got finished with my "Coon Creek Outdoors" PVC Beam, can't wait to put it through the paces...

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/15/15 05:51 PM

^^^that is a set up right there^^^
Posted By: California cager

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/15/15 06:39 PM

I like the truck grin
Posted By: jonesy

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/15/15 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: board stretcher
^^^that is a set up right there^^^

you got that right!!!! love it
Posted By: red mt

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/16/15 03:07 AM

Been useing a peice of 10 " pvc pipe cut out like fleshing beam 5 long works well for me.
Posted By: longbow31

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/18/15 12:35 AM

I have a large slab fleshing beam (like Matt Jones used in his fur handling video). I like it for beaver and scraping around the bottom end of critters. there is a small pair of vice grips screwed to the underside for clamping hides that are stubborn and don't want to stay put. usually just beavers, which I catch very few of. the table where I do my boarding was an island from a kitchen that I got for $10. just figured out that the angle bolted on the table would keep my boards in place while I pin or staple. I am a slow learner. I made the smaller beam but it needs a better base as it is too wobbly. had to cut a hole in the ceiling for the skinning machine, but it works great. can get enough length to do coyotes. best thing I have ever made by the way. the pole of the skinning machine has bolts welded to it for hanging tail strippers and zippers and going to build another shelf beside it for knives. like to have everything within arms reach. look forward to seeing other people's setups.
Posted By: longbow31

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/18/15 12:38 AM

oh, and the linoleum on the wall makes for easier cleanup, which I am not very good at.

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/19/15 06:08 AM

TTT
Posted By: Hern

Re:'OFFICAL' any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/20/15 11:16 AM

Nice set up guys.
I've posted these pictures before and got the idea from Trapsnap.
I've flesh'd in several different positions over the years.
The latest version a few years ago, since am older & back hurts when bending for extended periods of time, I built a small fur table and mounted beam straight out to my stomach.
You can add this to your work bench...

I built a wooden slot so beam fits tight, but slides out to store in off season.

Added two L-shaped brackets and lag bolted. Rock solid. Remove lags for storage in off season.

Breaking in beam...

Posted By: tjm

Re:'OFFICAL' any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/27/15 01:10 PM

Jonathan once did a thread that covered almost every kind of fleshing beam, ADC may still have it as it was also there.
Fleshing Beams in Revue IIRC; tried messaging ADC and it did not work
Posted By: bctomcat

Re:'OFFICAL' any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/27/15 02:09 PM

This one has worked well for me for over 30 years. Built out of a fir 2X6 in the shape of a fox board and fibre glassed.

Posted By: Deerslayer78

Re:'OFFICAL' any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/27/15 04:45 PM

And yes when done it folds into the wall, out of the way!

Re:'OFFICAL' any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/28/15 12:57 AM

thank you guys and gals for all the pics!!!
Posted By: hum

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/28/15 10:23 PM

what are the demson on the wood

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 07/31/15 06:42 PM

TTT

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 08/04/15 11:27 PM

anyone else care to join in on this, i was wanting this thread to carry on and see what are the other options and set ups....thanks again guys!
Posted By: JMF

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 08/05/15 12:01 AM

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 08/05/15 01:41 AM

^^^ i like the fact that you can adjust the higth on yours
Posted By: furbearertrapper

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 08/08/15 04:50 AM

Just 2 old door hinges and some redneck ingenuity.
Posted By: CJohnson

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 08/10/15 05:18 PM

I'd be interested on the demensions or a quick how to on the Coon Creek Outdoors beam setup

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 08/10/15 09:16 PM

Originally Posted By: CJohnson
I'd be interested on the demensions or a quick how to on the Coon Creek Outdoors beam setup

Here is the site, Coon Creek Outdoors has many great informational videos. On my Coon Creek Outdoors beam I did make sight adjustments to accommodate my stature(5'-6"), lowered the base 4", made a 50 degree angle on the beam and it's also put together with nut and bolts and lags for future adjustments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L70jIe6tBc0

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 08/10/15 11:30 PM

Thanks. I thought I watched all his videos (I've learned a ton from him) but looks like I missed that one. Thanks you

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 08/11/15 02:54 AM

thank you ferbearertrapper for adding the pics and i hope thry keep coming!!!!

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 08/12/15 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: rendezvous
I just got finished with my "Coon Creek Outdoors" PVC Beam, can't wait to put it through the paces...

i looked for this but i could not find it, i went to coon creek outdoors and it was not there. confused
Posted By: ILL Trappin

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 08/13/15 04:49 AM

Here is the video. Its a couple years old and gives just a basic overview, but it should give you decent idea of what I've got going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L70jIe6tBc0
Posted By: sasquatch573

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 08/13/15 06:35 PM

how does he get his edges rounded off? just getting into trapping and he was the first person i followed and has been the best one to watch and help me through my first year!

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 08/13/15 10:26 PM

According to his video, he used a grinder with a flap disc. I used a hand plane, a file and an orbital sander. I know a guy that uses a large knife with great results...

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 08/24/15 03:59 AM

TTT, does anyone else care to jump in on this???
Posted By: txhardin

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 08/24/15 07:34 PM

I'm about to build one in the next few weeks. I will try to remember, and take pics during the build.
Posted By: TNcat

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 08/25/15 01:02 AM

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 08/25/15 01:53 AM

very nice, i like that you can move yours in a different possion.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 08/26/15 09:15 PM

What no smoke?
Posted By: Badgerman50

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 08/30/15 06:59 PM

Here's my outfit. Easy to set up. Out of the way when I need it to be.

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 09/13/15 04:23 AM

TTT

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 09/17/15 09:53 PM

I finished my frame this past weekend on my Coon Creek Outdoors replica beam. I still have work to do on the PVC but figured I'd share my progress so far.

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 09/17/15 11:24 PM

CJohnson, very nice!

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 09/17/15 11:42 PM

Thank you! Now the hard part will be getting fur to put up on it. I'm sure I'll learn a lot my first year trapping.

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 09/18/15 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: CJohnson
I finished my frame this past weekend on my Coon Creek Outdoors replica beam. I still have work to do on the PVC but figured I'd share my progress so far.
if you are just starting out you are way ahead of me at that time and keep up the good work.

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 09/18/15 11:16 AM

Yeah I'm just starting this year. With the market how it is looks like I'll be making a lot of wall hangers this year. Now I've got to build my trap/snare collection. I only have about 20 traps/snares.
Posted By: tmrschessie

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 09/21/15 03:27 PM

Posted By: GonzoAC

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 09/22/15 08:36 PM

I just got done making both of these in the last week. Seasons here don't start till Nov., so I guess there will be no info on well they work till then. Is alright though I got plenty more stuff to do to get ready before things get going.

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 09/23/15 12:04 AM

I like the angled design on the first picture. I had messed around with trying to put barn hinges on my 4x4s so they could angle out when I'm using it the I could fold it back up on itself so it'd take up less of a footprint in my garage since I don't really have a dedicated fur shed. The design I did might make it a bit cramped in my garage next to all my other winter storage stuff.

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 09/23/15 12:59 AM

Thanks CJohnson, I too like the base of the first pic better. The second has more usable space on the beam before the frame which should make it easier working on it. It may take up some extra space, but your frame looks super solid! I am in the same boat without a lot of space/dedicated fur shed. Good luck out there this year!

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 09/23/15 02:32 AM

i also had this problem of taking up to much space so what i did is make it so the support was a single peace that i could stand on as you can see in the first pic of the thrad, works very well for me.

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 09/23/15 11:49 AM

It's definitely not going anywhere! It's 3' by 3' and held together by 5" barn nails.

I just got my Necker in the mail this week. Things are really starting to come together.

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 09/23/15 12:16 PM

Board stretcher, that looks like a great design, especially if your space is limited. I am working a limited budget as well, so the frames I built are both from p/t 2x4s I had left over from other projects. I did buy the maple and pvc to make the actual beam though. CJohnson, glad things are coming together for ya. My next challenge is building a cage trap for coyote, got all of OCT. to figure this one out.

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 09/24/15 03:32 AM

this has turned out to be a good thread, thinking it might go to the archives!
Posted By: The Possum Man

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 09/26/15 02:00 PM

i have a fleshing beam mounted on a hinge on the wall on my shed. I have been debating on how i wanted to build the bottom support. Ive seen several ideas but im still debating on it.
Posted By: gshaw1567

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 09/26/15 05:32 PM

I put up fiberglass liner panel (used in commercial bathrooms and kitchens) to protect the wall. Lag bolted angle iron to 3 different studs. Used a hinge to attach the base of the beam to the angle. I found that hinges used on external doors are much tighter than just regular "utility" hinges. I went with the "kickstand" type support. This way it can be lifted up and the scrap bin can be removed to dump out. A shaft collar was used and I replace the set screws with thumb screws so the angle can be adjusted. It will raise up parallel to the wall for storage, or the hinge pin can be pulled and the entire beam and leg can be removed.

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 10/02/15 04:49 PM

I had it mounted to the wall, but couldnt decide which support system i wanted. SO i moved it onto my workbench instead. I have a bad back so the bending over even slightly kills me and i wanted to be standing straight up as i worked. Mounted a hinge on the it to fold out of the way. It sturdy and has no wobble. I think i will like it like this...havent used it though so not sure...but this is what i came up with.
Posted By: wvtrapper10

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 10/02/15 06:25 PM

I used my fur check to purchase a Blue English Fleshing system this spring. A friend has one and let me try it last season and lemme tell ya it is much easier than being hunched over all the time while fleshing. Havent tried this one yet but I know for sure its gonna be nice.
Posted By: California cager

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 10/11/15 09:19 PM

Not the best but it works
Posted By: DirtyD

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 10/16/15 04:46 PM

What I use. It is hinged to fold down flat.
Posted By: CCMDTrapper

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 10/18/15 04:18 AM

Here's what I got. I hope to put it to good use this year.

Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 10/18/15 10:24 PM

Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 10/18/15 10:25 PM

This one can sit at different heights with those pieces of wood on the base.

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 10/18/15 10:33 PM

Can't beat a two-man fleshing beam like that...
Posted By: Makoman238

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 10/27/15 12:09 PM

I still need to sand over nose and edges but was wondering if this is adequate? For me to get a 2X piece of lumber I'd have to special order from a local saw mill. This is a piece of oak I bought from lowes. It has a flat profile. Can this work and what will be my challenges. Fleshed two coon on it so far. First one no problem. Second one nicked the arm pit and I think I caught a teat. I sewed both of them up

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 10/27/15 02:17 PM

Nothing wrong with your setup. Priced right tooi
Posted By: 2 TRAPS

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 10/28/15 01:54 AM

I really like your base that's neat.
Posted By: Fur trapping

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 10/28/15 02:47 AM

This is mine. I use the blue English set up for coons and possums, the other beam for most every thing else and clean skin beaver.

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 10/28/15 04:34 PM

Very nice set up!
Posted By: Hiline Bob

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 10/29/15 05:51 PM

I like that hanger system for your boards.
Posted By: longear

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 11/05/15 04:48 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7Vsvw4kbjw&feature=player_detailpage
fur shed tour and
bunch of home made fur tools
Posted By: reddawg

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 11/06/15 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: board stretcher

i looked for this but i could not find it, i went to coon creek outdoors and it was not there. confused

That's because the fella on "Coon Creek" used the idea originally posted by John Desclose who founded and started "Swamp Talk" forums. John had several tutorials outlining how he made that particular PVC set-up. John was frustrated with folks posting on the net claiming ownership of the idea. So consequently he took all info off his site.
While it's true anyone can copy and make anything they want. It just kinda sucks that folks post stuff online without giving the credit to the person who's idea it really is.
John was considering patenting and marketing his design. However he got ill (cancer) I believe,,not sure . And to my knowledge he hasn't pursued it.
So,,,wanna know about the beam ? Contact John Desclose,,,"Swamp Talk".
Posted By: MojaveDog

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 11/15/15 08:15 AM

Good thread! Need to build one myself. lots of really good ideas here. Keep em coming!!! grin
Posted By: DakotaBoy

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 11/20/15 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Fur trapping
This is mine. I use the blue English set up for coons and possums, the other beam for most every thing else and clean skin beaver.

Don't want to hijack this thread, just wondering how you've got your strechers hung in that unistrut? Is there a thread about it already?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 11/20/15 10:08 PM

Here's mine. Fleshed a possum earlier, I like how I'm positioned while using it so far. My fleshing technic stinks, I got my necker today and don't think I'm using it right and pretty sure that red membrane shouldn't of came of...but that's another forum lol

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 11/21/15 05:53 AM

No comments? I posted to the wrong forum earlier, I figured I'd get at least one bashing here lol. C'mon I'm bored!
Posted By: zammerak

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 11/22/15 05:16 AM

It looks like it could break with out any support. How long have you had it?

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 11/22/15 05:47 AM

A couple days. You can sit on the beam. The 4x12 is mortice and tenon together. No nails. And the beam can be lifted and pulled out. I spose at some point the tenon could break...
Posted By: zammerak

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 11/22/15 04:04 PM

Oh nice. Looks like a good setup

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 11/22/15 08:00 PM

Thanks, had some comments about it being not properly built but I like the level of the board and the whole unit is solid.

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 11/24/15 01:21 AM

Update on my fleshing beam i posted. Done about a dozen hides with it so far and it works wonderfully. No back pain at all unlike the ones mounted at an angle. Now i only have about 2 more trash bags full of fur to plus whatever im catching every day...anyone want to come down and help?? lol

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 11/24/15 01:53 AM

I have been very pleased with my new PVC beam. While posting the picture I realized I used the 6" beam on my last beaver...

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 11/24/15 08:18 AM

I really like the PVC interchangeability.
Posted By: fur_minator

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 11/26/15 11:23 AM

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 11/26/15 11:48 AM

I like the white boxed in area!!! containment
Posted By: trapperjoeAK

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 11/27/15 11:07 AM

Another style of PVC fleshing beam that we've used for a long time.

Similar one that mounts to bench instead of free standing.

Nifty little job for holding pelt in place.

Works like this.

I like the idea of the interchangeable size beams a lot. In practice though I've been super happy with these 6 inch ones. Seems like I can flesh everything on them. Most have fleshed a LOT of rats and otter but pretty much everything else you can catch up here also. Bigger might be nice for beaver and big game hides maybe.

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 12/06/15 03:03 AM

TTT
Posted By: Stefan

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 12/10/15 04:37 PM

Great thread!
Posted By: shorthair

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 12/20/15 10:24 AM

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 12/20/15 12:01 PM

trapperjoe I like your pelt holder.. I use burlap
Posted By: J. Brooks

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 12/21/15 05:21 PM

I like that pelt holder as well. Really good idea.
Posted By: J. Brooks

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 12/21/15 05:24 PM

I built a bank of receiver hitch type brackets so I can slide my beam in to adjust for height. The beams also are fully adjustable for angle and storage. The table between the beams folds out of the way in the offseason.

The beam on the left is a 2x8 pine board I shaped about 20 years ago in high school. The one on the right is an MTP fleshing beam that a buddy gave me once he decided it was easier for me to put up his coyotes then do it himself smile

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 12/24/15 09:49 PM

J. brooks very nice.

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 01/05/16 12:32 AM

ttt
Posted By: chigger

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 03/02/16 01:53 PM

Cut this one out Last night, goin too see how it work today.
Posted By: trapper20

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 03/16/16 10:37 PM

I just made my 1st wood beam. Been using pvc the past 2 years. Question is does anyone treat the beam before using or do you just use the bare wood and the animal fat treats as you go?

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 03/17/16 10:13 AM

t20, bare wood. Fat will treat it as you go.
If you can't stand bare wood until next season, rub in boiled linseed oil for now...lol
I clean blood off my beam from time to time. I use a disinfectant wipe.
Posted By: trapper20

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 03/17/16 12:44 PM

ThAnks, I have some fleshing to do with some buckskin and tanning so it will get se grease

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 01/20/17 02:13 AM

TTT

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 01/20/17 02:13 AM

TTT

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 12/29/17 08:17 PM

for some of the new guys to see!
Posted By: coilspring-teg

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 01/14/18 10:36 PM

Fur Minator,

You entire setup is an ABSOLUTE DREAM fur shop in my mind!!! I'm building a new shed this summer, and I want to incorporate a lot of what you have for the set up. I'm a big fan of the fold up beams with a support leg underneath. But I'm an even bigger fan of that white tub backer you have.

What is that white tub? where did you find it?

Teg
Posted By: HTF307

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 01/15/18 09:10 PM

Thanks for getting this back up. I am building all my stuff AGAIN from scratch(ex liquidated the other stuff). Thought i should work backwards with the hide shed being first. Have a back injury i deal with a bit and really like the idea of the "Blue Engish" boards and it would fit nicely into a shower stall i have. I love being able to learn and improve my set-up. Thanks again to all for sharing. smile

Re: any and all fleshing beams PICS - 01/16/18 12:34 PM

HTF307,(with back issues) consider a flat mounted beam. I posted pics on pg. 1 of this post.
Back pains when I bent, so I mounted beam straight/flat like an ironing board, with height to fit in my belly. No bending No stretching.
I keep working hide towards me so am not using much of the board.
Which ever way you go, my best to you.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums