Home

Green Belly

Posted By: vermontster

Green Belly - 01/10/18 11:03 PM

I had a buddy give me a coyote that was hit in the head by a car. I skinned it and it has some green belly. I was unable to flesh it. I put borax on the green belly and froze it for know. Does the green belly make this coyote not worth tanning. It was 12 degrees f. Hit and skinned the same day about 10 hours after being hit. Very nice red fur would like to tan it and give it to my buddy for a wall hanger. No damage to the pelt at all from the car hitting it not one mark.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Green Belly - 01/10/18 11:33 PM

Don't worry about It. You can take a bleach solution and wipe it over the green and that will kill any bacteria.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Green Belly - 01/10/18 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: vermontster
I had a buddy give me a coyote that was hit in the head by a car. I skinned it and it has some green belly. I was unable to flesh it. I put borax on the green belly and froze it for know. Does the green belly make this coyote not worth tanning.
NO, The effect of green belly is often over stressed by many. Although green belly can be serious it is common on a lot of fur animals. It is not a serious defect until it turns really dark brown or black, then you will start to see some slippage of fur. I often have coyotes hanging for 2-3 days (even 5) in the shop at 40 - 60 degree F temperature with no problem. If you’re worried about it, wiping the area with vinegar or 3% hydrogen peroxide solution will kill the bacteria causing the rot. The initially frozen coyote in this picture was hung face down for 5 days and is perfectly fine re fur slippage.

Posted By: vermontster

Re: Green Belly - 01/11/18 11:44 AM

Thebeav and bctomcat thanks for the info and the photo is exactly like mine. Is it bacteria in the animals stomach that cause the green belly or something else? Just would like to know for my own knowledge.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Green Belly - 01/11/18 03:31 PM

I think I can smell that coyote thru the computer.

Re: Green Belly - 01/11/18 05:03 PM

Probably make some coyotes smell better. LOL
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Green Belly - 01/11/18 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: vermontster
Is it bacteria in the animals stomach that cause the green belly or something else? Just would like to know for my own knowledge.
The bacteria is in the intestinal tract of all animals just more pronounced in carnivores as far as I know.

Re: Green Belly - 01/12/18 04:23 AM

I have never seen a green belied mink or coon or a otter or a beaver. I'm sure It happens but I haven't seen It. I see It In rats coyotes cats and fox.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Green Belly - 01/12/18 03:56 PM

Looks nasty - huh??
I've seen it before but never had any problems with slippage or spoiling after wiping with a 25/75 bleach/water mix.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Green Belly - 01/15/18 12:27 PM

I don't know if I can eat breakfast now.i can smell it from here.
Posted By: acrews145

Re: Green Belly - 03/13/18 10:58 PM

How do you get rid of the smell in the fur? I have a beaver with green belly and although I have gotten the hide white, he smells horrible. Any suggestions?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Green Belly - 03/14/18 02:46 AM

Just enjoy it for now,it will go away when it dries.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Green Belly - 03/14/18 04:20 AM

Originally Posted By: The Beav
I have never seen a green belied mink or coon or a otter or a beaver. I'm sure It happens but I haven't seen It. I see It In rats coyotes cats and fox.
Here you go beav this one was just starting to get green belly dead 3 days50-60 degree temps. By the way this is my very first put up mink

Re: Green Belly - 03/14/18 04:06 PM

Good job on the put up.
Laying around for 3 days In 50 60 degree temps will do that. LOl
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Green Belly - 03/15/18 02:33 AM

I'm glad you could only see the back side! You would of seen how dumb I was! I forgot the belly board! adjustable boards will spoil a guy.
Posted By: JaredC

Re: Green Belly - 03/17/18 02:50 AM

Ive had coons get the green belly

Re: Green Belly - 03/17/18 03:42 AM

Get them off the carcass as soon as possible and you won't have these problems.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Green Belly - 03/19/18 01:32 AM

Here if I snare a coyote and it lays for a day even in cold weather the belly starts to turn. It doesnt take long. I haven't had problems with fur slippage in this area. You might have more problems in area that have bit marks or bullet holes.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Green Belly - 03/31/18 01:18 PM

If you wash your yotes after scraping, the green goes away....and the stink too. Washes right out. That said, I only wash yotes that have been bazooked, but when someone else does the bazooking, they always got to let them lay around and turn green before they get rid of them. Must be an unwritten rule or something! Use a laundry detergent and a shot of creme rinse in the rinse cycle makes them nice, and any sewing can be done while the fur is wet, makes things much easier!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums