Home

Fleshing knife

Posted By: jpostx3

Fleshing knife - 01/25/18 09:31 PM

I’m sure this has been discussed but I haven’t seen the thread. What are some of your favorite fleshing knives? I’m curious about the MB one in particular if anybody has used it. Thanks
Posted By: Fishnbarrel

Re: Fleshing knife - 01/25/18 09:46 PM

Post. I also utilize a beaver know for fleshing.
Posted By: fingertrapper

Re: Fleshing knife - 01/26/18 02:59 AM

I have used a lot... Lee Steinmeyer.
Posted By: thskeer

Re: Fleshing knife - 01/26/18 01:47 PM

I have a few on hand including Necker 600, Weibe Elite, and 3 from Lee. The ONLY one I used this year is Lee's narrow or Parallel knife. It is as close to perfect for my style as I have found. I have used the MB, Green, and Boddickers too, but I can work the Lee narrow one better that any other.
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Fleshing knife - 01/26/18 09:22 PM

Another vote for Steinmeyer!!

Re: Fleshing knife - 01/26/18 10:38 PM

I just checked out the steinmeyer knives. I'm ordering the parallel. And probably going to get the "death Ray" before this season begins.

Re: Fleshing knife - 01/26/18 11:24 PM

I just checked out the steinmeyer knives. I'm ordering the parallel. And probably going to get the "death Ray" before this season begins.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Fleshing knife - 01/27/18 10:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishnbarrel
You won't regret either. Good products from a great man.

Re: Fleshing knife - 01/27/18 06:32 PM

I'm excited about it! Now let the anxiety begin!
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Fleshing knife - 01/27/18 09:23 PM

I've been looking at these as well.
Which do you all prefer - the standard or the parallel knife - and why?

Re: Fleshing knife - 01/28/18 01:48 AM

I'm sure both are fantastic, but I think the parallel is the best for most people. I have a green English which is more like the standard and at least for that one it can be tricky to learn. The ability to roll the knife and go from razor sharp to the perfect pushing edge is a real time saver. I used to use two knives and switch back and forth. No more...

Re: Fleshing knife - 01/28/18 01:49 AM

Plus I love the light weight of the parallel.

Re: Fleshing knife - 01/28/18 02:03 AM

I'm not a big fan of heavy wide blades. I learned to flesh hides with a basic $20 knife I put an edge on myself. It's probably 2" Max width. The parallel looks like an excellent piece of craftsmanship. I'm going to order 2 parallels and 2 death Ray's since he's getting on up in age.
Posted By: jpostx3

Re: Fleshing knife - 01/28/18 07:43 PM

I just looked up the steinmeyer knives and I will be giving him a call. Thanks for the help!
Posted By: thskeer

Re: Fleshing knife - 01/29/18 05:10 PM

Parallel is designed with the bevels aligned so that you rotate the knife 180 degrees in your grip to go from sharp to dull and back. Wide knife requires you swap hands on the knife so the top is the top no matter if pushing or cutting, as I remember it.

Maybe Lee will chime in...
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Fleshing knife - 01/29/18 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: fingertrapper
Plus I love the light weight of the parallel.

X2, I have lots less hand cramping with Lee's parallel than any I've ever used..

Re: Fleshing knife - 01/29/18 10:02 PM

Talked to Lee this morning - great guy!
Will have a parallel in my shop soon!!

Re: Fleshing knife - 01/30/18 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: thskeer
Parallel is designed with the bevels aligned so that you rotate the knife 180 degrees in your grip to go from sharp to dull and back. Wide knife requires you swap hands on the knife so the top is the top no matter if pushing or cutting, as I remember it.

Maybe Lee will chime in...

Feel like his website gave you the option to decide where you want it sharpened, or if you want it sharpened.

Earlier I meant to say Sheffield. And you hit the nail on the head as to why I don't care to use it much. Too much switching end over end.

Re: Fleshing knife - 01/30/18 11:25 PM

Lee also mentioned he's going to craft a 10" knife sometime in the near future.
Don't know if anyone is interested, but thought I'd pass that along.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Fleshing knife - 02/10/18 02:08 PM

Good morning guys. Just found this thread, been busy! Most of you have hit on the good points on my knives, except fishinbarrel! I hope to be around for a long time yet! grin Shoot look at beav, he's gotta be ten years older than me, and still knows everything, I figure I at least have that long! laugh.

I like the safety aspect of the parallel over the std knife. I have cut myself many times in the fur shed on fleshing knives, and only once with the parallel knife. None have been very serious, but ya still bleed! When you get in a hurry, it is a poor time to be waving a sharp knife around in the air! The SBS lable is for the std knife only. It defeats the purpose of the Parallel knife.

Yes, I have an addition of a shorty Parallel this year. I built one for Mark Zagger last year and delivered it at the NTA. Had it on the table, and could have sold it many times, so I figured Maybe I was missing out on something! They will be availible withiin a couple weeks, and should be on the website soon. Watch for pricing and details! Thanks for all the kind words and comments!
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Fleshing knife - 02/10/18 02:34 PM

I go by what my Dad told me years ago. Son If you keep both hands on the hammer you will never hit your thumb. I guess that would also work with a fleshing knife. LOL

Lee I don't know everything but Muskrat thinks I do. LOL
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Fleshing knife - 02/11/18 02:31 PM

just ordered a post, can't wait to use it,i need to catch me some beaver.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Fleshing knife - 02/11/18 11:47 PM

A post Is a good knife.
Posted By: Jacket

Re: Fleshing knife - 02/14/18 06:31 PM

I just got a post and really like it. I had a cheap knife and fleshing a beaver was like doing a shoulder and tricep workout. Fleshed a few beaver with the post and it is much easier and turned out better. I cut a few holes in the first couple, especially around the edges, but I suppose there is always a learning curve.

For me it was between a post or steinmeyer parallel.

Re: Fleshing knife - 02/16/18 11:10 PM

Got my Parallel knife from Lee.
All I can say is WOW! The knife has more than met my expectations. Excellent craftsmanship and he is a pleasure to deal with.
Tried it out this afternoon and have to say it fits me and my style perfectly. Light, sharp and cosmetics are just great.

Thanks Lee!!
Highly recommend the knives from Lee Steinmeyer - you would not be disappointed.
http://www.lptraplinesupply.com/
© 2024 Trapperman Forums