Home

Dragging your catch to the truck

Posted By: AJE

Dragging your catch to the truck - 02/11/18 02:48 AM

Do you find that dragging a furbearer, such as beaver, to the truck damages fur? I suppose it helps when there's snow.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 02/11/18 03:26 AM

Dragging fur causes damage,yes even on snow.If you are unable to pack it out,bag it and drag the bag,or skin it out.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 02/11/18 01:04 PM

Get a jet sled. Easier on everything.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 02/11/18 02:24 PM

jet sled x2
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 02/11/18 02:39 PM

I made a carrier, carry the beaver like a suit case, until I get the beaver to the sled.

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 02/11/18 03:32 PM

I use a large canoe pack with a tump line.In my younger days I packed as many as 5 big beaver on my back.Today 3 is the limit.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 02/11/18 10:56 PM

I lugged my last 50 pounder about a mile through the woods to the truck.
All I can say is... That ship has sailed.
I skin them all in the woods now.

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 02/12/18 12:57 AM

Trap them in the winter,you wont have to carry them at all,out of the ice hole and into the snowmachine sleigh.
Posted By: TigerLand

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 02/12/18 01:05 AM

I've noticed the biggest beavers I've ever caught, I had to drag them out of the woods a long long ways. Sometimes a mile or more.. it sucks but where nobody else goes is where you want to be for any trapping or hunting. I find the densest populations of bobcats in the swampiest, trashiest of all beaver works.

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 02/12/18 04:06 AM

No reason to drag fur when you can easily pack them out in a good canoe pack.
Posted By: TigerLand

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 02/14/18 02:48 AM

I don't drag them out.. I usually pack them out, what I meant was I drag myself out lol
Posted By: late bite

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 02/14/18 01:20 PM

I throw coyotes and beaver over my shoulders to get them out when I have to..... If there is no snow it seems easier to me than my jet sled..

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 02/16/18 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: late bite
I throw coyotes and beaver over my shoulders to get them out when I have to..... If there is no snow it seems easier to me than my jet sled..

I need you to come to Illinois, throw me over your shoulder and carry me, the beaver and all my gear out!! LOL!

Kinda like the Jerry Jeff Walker song - "Throw Another Log on The Fire"...
Posted By: J. Brooks

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 03/02/18 11:27 PM

One of my pet peaves is watching coyote hunting shows and one minute the guy is talking about how brand xxxx ammo does such a great job on pelts and the next he has it by a back leg dragging it through the prairie. Pack them, sled them, skin them, whatever....just don't drag them.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 03/10/18 08:05 AM

Those that pack them out, what kind of backpack are you using?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 03/10/18 03:38 PM

I packed out a few beaver In my day. I just used a backpack frame and ratchet strapped the beaver to the frame.

And I dragged a few coyotes to the truck this year. I don't see where dragging a coyote or for that matter a beaver a short distance through the snow to the truck Is going to do any damage to It.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 03/10/18 04:15 PM

I pack them id really hate to miss out on the oppertunity of a fresh batch of fleas
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 03/10/18 05:01 PM

LOl

WE killed 33 coyotes and never saw a flea on the ones I skinned. That has never happened before.

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 03/20/18 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: The Beav
LOl

WE killed 33 coyotes and never saw a flea on the ones I skinned. That has never happened before.

If you'd like to have some I can send 'em to you... No shortage around here.
Posted By: acrews145

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 03/21/18 01:03 AM

Have found dragging increases chance of slippage on mounts. I don't know on beavers though.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Dragging your catch to the truck - 03/24/18 06:24 PM

© 2024 Trapperman Forums