Home

Bobtail coyote

Posted By: AppalachianTrapr

Bobtail coyote - 02/11/18 04:17 PM

So I pulled the tail off a recent coyote. Needless to say I was more than upset. He isn't the best color anyway. A lot of red in him. Of course I didn't want to waste him so I finished skinnin him out anyway and the rest of him was flawless. Just has a very short tail lol. Anything I can do with this guy or is he going to be fleshing practice only? Thanks guys.
Posted By: Pasadena

Re: Bobtail coyote - 02/11/18 04:36 PM

Sell the hide as usuall. Not getting anything for the tail anyways.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Bobtail coyote - 02/11/18 04:38 PM

He still has value on the fur market. A reputable buyer won't dock you for the missing tail.

Or have the pelt tanned and make something - like a ruff for a parka hood or a pair of mittens.

Still lots of good useable fur there.
Posted By: AppalachianTrapr

Re: Bobtail coyote - 02/11/18 05:05 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the replies, guys. I didn't think the tail had much value but I was worried that I would get docked anyway for cosmetics or something. I've never sold fur before. I have some in the freezer from last season but haven't been successful enough to get very much fur together to sell.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Bobtail coyote - 02/11/18 05:36 PM

If you had 20 coyotes and all the tails were gone I'm betting the local fur buyer would dock you. But one coyote no way.
Posted By: Rebel Rider

Re: Bobtail coyote - 02/11/18 09:53 PM

I did that to my first coyote and I was horrified, then I tried to get the cartilage out of the ears and pulled those off too. Due to my lack of skill with the head, he also had four or five eye holes. I still got sixty bucks for that pup. (He was in a pile with three others.) Granted, I think being a first time girl trapper might have had something to do with that poor little coyote bringing such a good price.

Re: Bobtail coyote - 02/11/18 11:48 PM

Way to go Girl.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Bobtail coyote - 02/11/18 11:53 PM

Man must be something going around I pulled the tail into on mine this morning. Stomped around the shed cussing like a wounded pirate.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Bobtail coyote - 02/12/18 12:38 AM

So where did the tail go?It only takes about 30 seconds to sew on a tail.Even though a missing tail may not cost you in the fur garment market,it could.I hate to look at a nice collection of canines etc and see obvious damage like a ripped off tail.Presentation is everything to the graders,and borderline pelts that fall in between two grades will get bumped up if the handling is good,and put down when the handling is rough.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Bobtail coyote - 02/12/18 12:51 AM

I saved mine and got it split ill zew it back on when i board it

Re: Bobtail coyote - 02/13/18 03:23 AM

super glue might work.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums