Home

Fleshing tool

Posted By: AJE

Fleshing tool - 03/29/18 01:36 AM

What's your thought on this tool?
http://www.minntrapprod.com/mobile/Fleshing-Tool/productinfo/FLT-01/
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Fleshing tool - 03/29/18 02:11 AM

Well If you don't have one your not fleshing many rats. Great rat tool.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Fleshing tool - 03/29/18 03:05 AM

A better rat fleshing tool IMO is a small pelt scraper.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Fleshing tool - 03/29/18 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: The Beav
Well If you don't have one your not fleshing many rats. Great rat tool.
Thanks. What about for big furbearers? The writeup kind of makes it sounds like it works on ~all furbearers, most specifically rat & mink though. I wonder how this tool works on our bigger furbearers.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Fleshing tool - 03/29/18 04:31 AM

The bell scraper that BC tomcat shows is a good fleshing tool.You can use it for small animals like rats and mink,also you can flesh fox and cats right on a solid forming board before pinning.
You can also use that bell scraper for frost scraping.
Don't get the cheap one though,they are no good,get a zepf or a post.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Fleshing tool - 03/29/18 04:43 AM

What bctomcat has pictured I know it as a Swedish hoof knife and it works like no other, I have what you pictured from MTLP they work but not as well as the hoof knife does.
The hoof knife I've used on everything from bobcats to coyotes to muskrats and beaver they make different sizes I've seen a small and a large I've got both and I'm glad I've got them it makes finishing fur so easy !
Stay Safe out there !
Allan

Re: Fleshing tool - 03/29/18 10:15 PM

So your saying that those small pelt scrapers are faster then a 2 handed fleshing knife.
The one Pictured would be In my opinion a very poor choice for anything other then rats or mink.

I think I'll stick with my Necker for every thing other then rats and mink.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Fleshing tool - 03/30/18 11:14 AM

Originally Posted By: bctomcat
A better rat fleshing tool IMO is a small pelt scraper.

I like this one, for rats and mink...
Posted By: Boco

Re: Fleshing tool - 03/30/18 01:54 PM

If you need to remove the saddle-the beam and 2 handed fleshing knife is what you need to use.
If you don't need to remove the saddles,like on some fox and cats,mink and rats,the one handed scraper on the board is quick and efficient.
Posted By: thskeer

Re: Fleshing tool - 03/30/18 02:21 PM

I use one like BC Tomcat posted for hides on boards. Most fox, mink and rats. I also go over Coon and Beaver with it to get the excess oil out right after I board.

I actually have 2. The Weibe is sharp on one side while the Caribou is sharp on both sides. I think the Caribou is a great tool for touch ups once boarded and smaller jobs!
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Fleshing tool - 03/31/18 01:11 AM

The hoof knives work wonders on stretched pelts for touching up any spots one could of missed when fleshing them on the beam.

Re: Fleshing tool - 03/31/18 04:11 AM

You shouln't be missing those spots to begin with. LOL
© 2024 Trapperman Forums