Home

Preserving a beaver tail

Posted By: AJE

Preserving a beaver tail - 04/07/18 01:17 AM

Can a beaver tail be 'tanned.' If so, what's the trick? I'd like to hang 1 in our sports room.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Preserving a beaver tail - 04/07/18 02:14 AM

They can be tanned. Not sure the exact method. Randy Shuff might be able to help you out.

If you just want one to hang on the walll, if you leash it very well and wipe off the excess grease, it should be ok.
Posted By: Cole semo

Re: Preserving a beaver tail - 04/08/18 12:53 AM

Cut along the outermost edge with a scissors then finish the cut to the base with a knife. Peel back the top a bit, put the tail in a vise and pull the hide with a pair of pliers. cut as much fat off as you can with a fillet knife then salt and send to the tannery.
Posted By: Cole semo

Re: Preserving a beaver tail - 04/08/18 08:01 PM

The “U” shaped welding vise works best for holding the tail as you pull
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Preserving a beaver tail - 04/11/18 02:08 PM

I did my first one this year. skinned and fleshed well. put in pickle, fleshed and thinned, back in pickle, dried, oiled well, worked over a cable and done. not sure how everyone else does it but it looked good for my first one.
looking at making it into something.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Preserving a beaver tail - 04/29/18 04:36 PM

I watched a cool you tube video for preparing a beaver tail. Anyone know of a tannery that tans beaver tails? I asked GNF, but they didn't seem interested.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Preserving a beaver tail - 04/29/18 05:30 PM

Most commercial tanneries don't mess with beaver tails. Different price than doing fur pelts.

There is a tannery some place that Grit Guy uses. Not sure if he is willing to share that info or not.

Moyles does do beaver pelts with the tail attached. But the tail usually takes quite a beating and needs some TLC afterwards to make it look good.
Posted By: Lost in utah

Re: Preserving a beaver tail - 06/06/18 03:28 AM

This is where I sent my beaver tails last year. Fast turn around and easy to work with.
http://www.specialtyleather.com
Posted By: webfootwhacker

Re: Preserving a beaver tail - 07/06/18 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Lost in utah
This is where I sent my beaver tails last year. Fast turn around and easy to work with.
http://www.specialtyleather.com

X2

$6.50 per side
© 2024 Trapperman Forums