Home

Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home

Posted By: AJE

Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/05/18 02:57 AM

How do you like to haul your catch home...just lay 'em in the back of the truck, perhaps put the animal in a bag---or maybe a rubbermaid tote, or on a piece of cardboard?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/05/18 03:03 AM

I bag them.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/05/18 03:47 AM

Lets say you have 20 beavers In the back of the pick up do you bag them how about 100 rats In the back of the truck?
I like to leave them exposed so they are pretty much dry by the time I get to the shed. And besides that I like to show off my catch. And It has opened a lot doors for me when they know your a trapper. And the persons that looks down on you who cares.

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/05/18 05:05 AM

Beav's truck, lol.

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/05/18 12:55 PM

^^^^
Nuisance beaver.
In winter I bag everything in fur bags.
You can put a couple or 3 beaver in a fur bag in the sleigh.
I even bag timberwolf although their tails and feet stick out.
You cant let an animal bounce around in the back of a muddy bike trailer or a truck for 20 miles and expect to put up a decent product after that.Especially when its freezing out.

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/05/18 02:03 PM

What ever Boco.
I even built a elevated rack that I could place above my tuck bed. I can toss the rats up on top so they get the full force of the wind as I'm going from set to set. By time the day Is over most of the rats are dry enough to skin.

Beaver don't bounce much In the truck bed. LOL

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/05/18 09:43 PM

They sure do in the bike trailer.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/06/18 12:14 AM

Water catches - I lay them on some old burlap with plastic sheeting underneath so they don't freeze to the truck bed.
Don't worry about coons, coyotes or any land animals - unless they're wet.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/10/18 04:26 AM

I pile them on there with the heads in the center so the blood drains out and they aren't laying in a pool of it.
Posted By: James Peterson

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/13/18 05:45 PM

Wrap your wet muskrats in newspaper! You'll be surprised how dry they are by the time you get back home.
Posted By: Redsleeves

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/13/18 06:06 PM

News paper rat and mink bag my otter, and rack my coon, I use plastic bread racks doesn't hold too many but keeps them outta mud blood and no freezing down!
Colt

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/13/18 07:07 PM

I have these berry boxes they are plastic and are perforated with 1/2" holes and they are stackable. Rats and mink fit well In them.
I just can't see myself wrapping 100 some rats each day In news paper. LOL On the drying rack In the back of the truck they are well dried by time I get home. If they are still a bit wet do to the weather. A quick air blast from the air compressor and they are ready to skin.

With coyotes and fox I have a sand box In the back of the truck. I just place the head over the edge In to the sand. The box of sand also puts weight In the back of the truck for better winter driving traction.

But since I have been shooting my coyotes with the 410 I haven't had as many bleeders. Stand back 25 yards or so and give them a load of #4s.
Posted By: eastwood44mag

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/14/18 01:24 PM

Going to try this in a couple weeks:

Had a spare palette laying around, fits almost perfectly between my wheel wells, and gives elevation for air flow. Best part is I didn't have to build or buy it.

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/14/18 02:44 PM

That will work. It would even work well for nose bleeding coyotes.
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/14/18 05:37 PM

Death Ray...no more blood. I don’t even worry about it anymore. Didn’t have any blood in the back of my truck last season. I still carry a pistol in case of a toe catch, but never used it once last season.

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/14/18 06:33 PM

It's a bit of a chore to get a choke stick On a coyote when It's In snare that's 6' long. The 410 works great.

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/14/18 07:06 PM

Good lords that an exspensive dispatch! 16 to 20 bucks a box to further degrade an already not so top notch fur! If it's control work I could careless how much he bleeds. I don't trap yotes hard anymore but that could put a dispatch bill up close too a hundred bucks crap on that! Or I guess 410 shells don't cost they pay! Glad it works for you!
Colt

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/14/18 08:44 PM

They don't down grade a coyote with a few #4 shot In the head. In fact I get very little bleeding It's not like your shooting them In the guts. And Like I said I'm not chasing a coyote around the catch circle trying to get the death ray on It. LOL

And the ones I catch In foot holds are collared and released and they bring me $99.00 each. I'm not killing them. LOL
And I'm betting the death ray Isn't taking down many coon as fast as blunt force trauma does.

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/14/18 08:53 PM

I like a 22 behind the shoulder get no blood. Or I head shoot. most of mine are so muddy I have too wash enyhow! I'm with you on the choke pole!
Colt
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/28/18 01:01 AM

I really don't like to shoot my coyotes either. If they are dispatched with a head shot they bleed way to much. I just give them a thump and compress their lungs. Don't take to long and not near as much blood to clean up. I carry a burlap sack in the winter to keep any fur from freezing down.

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 10/28/18 03:11 AM

Here is 8 beaver in a fur bag in the bike trailer.Bagging 20(who wants to catch that many at once,lol) would not be a problem.I don't want a muddy mess when the time comes for skinning.
Posted By: Hal Aggers

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 11/15/18 03:44 AM

If I am catching a lot of coon in over freezing temps I spread them out in the back of the truck .
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 11/17/18 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
They don't down grade a coyote with a few #4 shot In the head. In fact I get very little bleeding It's not like your shooting them In the guts. And Like I said I'm not chasing a coyote around the catch circle trying to get the death ray on It. LOL

And the ones I catch In foot holds are collared and released and they bring me $99.00 each. I'm not killing them. LOL
And I'm betting the death ray Isn't taking down many coon as fast as blunt force trauma does.

I don’t chase them around the catch circle either. Tap them on the nose with the d handle on my trowel, put the DR on them and they never wake back up. Same with coons. It might take an extra minute and a half as opposed to shooting them, but I save way more time than that in the Fur shed not dealing with blood on the fur, or in the back of my truck.

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 11/21/18 04:32 AM

Someone above suggested using newspapers for wet muskrats. That tip has been helpful for me this year.

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 11/24/18 12:09 PM

The other day I Ieft a muskrat in the truck overnight and it froze to the cereal box I had it sitting on. Not fun when I went to pick it up and it was stuck to it.

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 11/24/18 04:34 PM

Trying to tap a coyote on the nose In 6' CR is time consuming and some times A bit dangerous. LOL

Can you just Imagine Cable Able wrapping up all his rats In news paper LOL

Re: Hauling furbearers from field (or stream) to home - 11/24/18 05:20 PM

CableAble surely has a more efficient method than others, but he traps more volume than anyone I know.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums