Home

Removing furs

Posted By: SkyeDancer

Removing furs - 12/06/18 09:57 PM

I use adjustable stretchers for fox/coyote. Removal is generally easy. I had one coyote i had to disassemble the stretcher to get it off. I suspect i turned it to soon. Any suggestions to avoid this problem in the future?
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Removing furs - 12/06/18 10:46 PM

Try tapping the nose of the pelt on a hard surface, like a concrete floor. Some times a couple of sharp taps will loosen it up.

Another option, though not the best for fur out pelts, wrap the head/shoulder area in a damp towel until the pelt loosens. Note I said DAMP, not wet.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Removing furs - 12/06/18 11:10 PM

Don't turn it too soon.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Removing furs - 12/06/18 11:58 PM

Put a wedge In from the mouth end after turning and your problems go away. Then there Is no reason to go beating the nose end of your stretcher on the deck.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Removing furs - 12/07/18 12:06 AM

Temperature humidity air flow etc all play a factor. I use solid boards. 70 degrees fans blowing with 35 to 40 percent humidity and 4 days they come off. I wouldn't be without a gauge to monitor humidity if using heat. Heat and moisture is a recipe for disaster.
Posted By: SkyeDancer

Re: Removing furs - 12/07/18 12:11 AM

Thanks Guys! I do think I turned it to early, as it was stuck to the boards in some places. I do think I will use wedges in the future even though I use adjustables
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Removing furs - 12/07/18 01:00 AM

How are going to use wedges in adjustable ( you mean SPLIT) boards?

Another way to avoid your problem is to use a board that is collapsible in the head area rather than butt. To avoid this use a head spacer that can be easily removed through the pelt mouth area. All that’s required is a standard clothes pin, a headless nail, some duct tape and a 6 or 8 inch sip tie. The spreader nail should be no more than 4 inches from the board tip to facilitate removal of the cloths pin spacer. Pull the spacer pin, squeeze the boards together and the pelt is removed very easily compared to the normal procedure with a collapsible board at the butt end.
[Linked Image]

Re: Removing furs - 12/07/18 04:26 AM

I'm betting you could place a wedge In from the mouth at a angle where It would cross the space on the adjustable board.
But your system would also work just fine. At least you wouldn't be beating your stretcher on the ground. LOL

Re: Removing furs - 12/07/18 12:49 PM

I beat mine on the ground,base or nose. If I ruin one I will just make another one.

Re: Removing furs - 12/07/18 02:48 PM

Size 48 shirt and a size 3 hat. LOL

Re: Removing furs - 12/07/18 10:05 PM

Not at all. Just saying sometimes they stick but what do I know.

Re: Removing furs - 12/07/18 10:30 PM

Just jerking your chain. LOL

Wiss Miss Is so intimidating she would just have to look at one and It would crawl right off the board. LOL

Re: Removing furs - 12/08/18 12:58 AM

I happen to like Nancy.
Posted By: MT bowhunter

Re: Removing furs - 12/14/18 05:15 AM

Take an old style stick candle and lightly wax the outsides of your stretcher when you flip your fur. It will not dry on to the wax. Makes taking them off the boards easy.

Re: Removing furs - 12/14/18 02:11 PM

That's a good tip.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Removing furs - 12/19/18 12:43 PM

If your adjustable board are not attached at the nose end they work better.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums