Home

Tips For Otter

Posted By: Anonymous

Tips For Otter - 12/15/18 02:01 PM

Any tips on put up that make the finished product shine? What's best for fur clean up,fleshing,etc.?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Tips For Otter - 12/15/18 02:27 PM

Are you shipping them?

And since they are finished fur In there's not much you should do. I know Boco will have a coronary but I just take a rag that has a "little" grease (Coon Fat) on It and just rub It up In the window area. Since that Is the only part of the fur the grader will see. This will give you a nice sheen to the fur.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Tips For Otter - 12/15/18 02:34 PM

2X. Clean fur BEFORE drying
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Tips For Otter - 12/15/18 02:35 PM

Thanks Beav. You answered the main question I had.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Tips For Otter - 12/15/18 04:39 PM

Best thing to do for otter is provide the grader with a nice inspection window that is NOT cut into the flank.
I would not recommend rubbing grease into the fur.Dont rub the fur at all.It could induce singe in a raw otter pelt.
Dry the skin under cool conditions,50f or so-no heat,low humidity.Use sawdust when scraping if you handle them on the beam to keep the fur grease free,and dampen your beam with a mist of water before fleshing.
Pin or screen the tail in a natural position,dont pull it short and wide nor long and skinny. [Linked Image]

Re: Tips For Otter - 12/15/18 05:10 PM

Boco It's not like your getting on the fur with a wire brush filled with grease.
If that hide Isn't singed by time It's off the beam It's not going to become singed.
Maybe he should go down to some solon In the hood. I bet he could come up with some hair straightener and some hair gloss. LOL
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Tips For Otter - 12/20/18 09:16 AM

Is it okay to tumble otter pelts in corn cobs and saw dust before boarding ? Not sure if it would damage the fur. I know it really makes my coyotes and raccoons clean and "fluffy". -Thanks

Re: Tips For Otter - 12/20/18 05:31 PM

Give It a try I don't think It's going to hurt anything. Is cleaning out the corn cobb grit going to be worth the effort. Or Isn't that going to be a issue.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Tips For Otter - 12/20/18 06:03 PM

I'm not sure drumming is going to help an otter. Unlike a coyote or Raccoon, there isn't much there to "fluff". smile
© 2024 Trapperman Forums