Home

Mini Fridge?

Posted By: cowboyandy

Mini Fridge? - 01/02/19 01:08 AM

Hey guys. New to trapping/handling and have seen some guys using freezers to keep their skinned furs in prior to fleshing/boarding. Is this simply to keep them from rotting until they get a chance to finish the job? Seems to me that the fats would come off easier on a chilled hide. Ive only ever skinned and fleshed while the animal is still warm and have wondered if its worth the 30-50 dollars on craigslist just to chill them and flesh them all on a Saturday instead of throughout the week. If you think it would help my fleshing, is a refrigerator cold enough or should I really look into a freezer. Sorry for the elementary question!

Thanks
-Andy
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Mini Fridge? - 01/02/19 02:14 AM

Unless It's freezer It's not going to do you much good.
In fact In my opinion I find It easier to flesh a room temperature skin then one that has been partially frozen. To me I loose the feel of the knife on partial frozen or chilled hides.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Mini Fridge? - 01/02/19 02:36 AM

A fridge is handy in the skinning room.Forget the small one though,you need a big one that will hold a few skins and still have room for the wobbly pop.
Posted By: Dfabs

Re: Mini Fridge? - 01/02/19 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
A fridge is handy in the skinning room.Forget the small one though,you need a big one that will hold a few skins and still have room for the wobbly pop.

Yep^^^^you gotta stay hydrated in the fur shed!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Mini Fridge? - 01/03/19 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dfabs
Originally Posted by Boco

Yep^^^^you gotta stay hydrated in the fur shed!

I'll second that.
Let's take a vote "......................then drink to it. Once the knives are put down
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Mini Fridge? - 01/03/19 03:49 PM

skinning fluid is a necessity
© 2024 Trapperman Forums