Home

Finished raccoon hides curling

Posted By: kyron4

Finished raccoon hides curling - 01/04/19 08:11 AM

My finished raccoon hides are hanging on a fur hanger and some are curling in slightly and other are opening up front to back loosing their slim boarded profile. All were well dried before coming off the boards. Normal ? preventable ? Any effect on grading ? -Thanks
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Finished raccoon hides curling - 01/04/19 11:28 AM

Humidity where you have the hides is probably too high.
Posted By: TrapperCarl78

Re: Finished raccoon hides curling - 01/04/19 11:34 AM

Yea has to be humidity causing the changes. I had some curl on me last season. Humidity is a constant 90-100% nightmare here.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Finished raccoon hides curling - 01/04/19 05:41 PM

Wont hurt them- as long as the humidity is not too high.Skins continue to shrink long after they come off the boards.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Finished raccoon hides curling - 01/05/19 07:07 PM

I used to havve that problem before I built the boards I use now. If you use a solid board with a spreader, then after they hang on a hanger for awhile, they start to bag in or curl. Like said, it won't hurt them price wise, but I hated them to look that way. I built boards with the spreader between the outside, and never have had that happen since.

Re: Finished raccoon hides curling - 01/06/19 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
I used to havve that problem before I built the boards I use now. If you use a solid board with a spreader, then after they hang on a hanger for awhile, they start to bag in or curl. Like said, it won't hurt them price wise, but I hated them to look that way. I built boards with the spreader between the outside, and never have had that happen since.

Got a picture of your boards and spreader ? I'm not quite following. -Thanks
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Finished raccoon hides curling - 01/10/19 05:05 AM

Just saw your post asking about my stretchers. I built a number of these and love how they work, but are way too time consuming to build to be able to market them. The rails are the same on both, but the spreader board is thinner to allow air flow and built in two sizes to use on either forms. the hole in the bottom is to hang and also to put a rod through to pop the board out after they are dry.
Pic one is showing the two sizes [Linked Image]
Pic two shows another view so you can get a better idea of how it is built. [Linked Image]
Pic three shows some finished coon on them. A lot of damage in the big coon this year for some reason. Ref, the black spots! [Linked Image]

Re: Finished raccoon hides curling - 01/10/19 09:20 AM

Ah I see, thanks !
© 2024 Trapperman Forums