Home

pelt tanning time

Posted By: TD King

pelt tanning time - 01/05/19 02:32 AM

I have been trying to tan a few beaver furs this year this is the first time ive tried this and I used the orange bottle I thought I followed the directions the best I could I have been stretching on them for a week but they dont seem to be drying out and turning leathery looking we have had a lot of rain and its been pretty cool and my trap shed not heated would that have anything to do with it thanks for the help.
Posted By: Boco

Re: pelt tanning time - 01/05/19 03:15 AM

Could be-is the hair still set good?
A few pics might help.
Posted By: bfisch

Re: pelt tanning time - 01/05/19 06:44 PM

High humidity and cool temps slow it down for sure. Beaver are about the hardest first thing to tan I can think of. I made the same mistake. I also made the mistake of using the orange bottle. If you thin the hide it will dry a little faster. You can also use a fan.
Posted By: trapper20

Re: pelt tanning time - 01/06/19 03:09 PM

agree with bfisch. high humidity! beavers are very hard to tan and get soft. put a couple fans on them and it will help.
Posted By: TD King

Re: pelt tanning time - 01/06/19 03:29 PM

thanks for the help the furs still looks great they just dont seem to be drying out I will give the fans a try. just my luck I would pick one of the hardest animals to tan for my first time lol
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: pelt tanning time - 01/07/19 02:22 AM

I would also bet there is still a bunch of fat in the hide that isn't helping either.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: pelt tanning time - 01/18/19 01:46 AM

Not to far from KY and it takes quite a few days here for a beaver pelt to dry out.
The leather is thick and good fleshing is a priority.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums