Home

Bobcat Ear Question

Posted By: ShawneeMan

Bobcat Ear Question - 01/06/19 01:11 AM

Hoping to get a tag next year - caught a cat yesterday but had to turn it loose 'cause I don't have a permit.
That said, should the cartilage in a cats ear need to be removed like it should be done on a Coyote?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Bobcat Ear Question - 01/06/19 01:43 AM

I don't remove any ear cartilage,just separate it from the back of the ear with your thumb before boarding and it will dry perfectly.only takes a minute.Turn the dry ears back when you turn the pelt.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Bobcat Ear Question - 01/07/19 01:22 AM

Thanks Boco.
Posted By: ebfarmer

Re: Bobcat Ear Question - 02/13/19 06:36 PM

Boco, are you saying that you turn the ears themselves inside out until you turn the hide, or you simply have the ears on the flesh side of the hide until turning fur side out? Do you borax the inside of the ears and pin them forward?

I picked up a roadkill bobcat ,with very little damage, this morning and it will be my first attempt at skinning a cat. Since I'm sure there is "more than one way to skin a cat", or at least to board it, I would like to hear any other input out there from other experienced fur handlers.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Bobcat Ear Question - 02/13/19 07:05 PM

When boarding a cat just turn the ears inside out like "Boco" explained for drying. When turning pelt fur out do the same with the ears. usually they will dry but if not a little borax won't hurt anything. There is no need to pin the ears forward. Actually if laid back like this photo they will complete drying, if a little damp, by being left open.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: Bobcat Ear Question - 02/15/19 02:34 AM

[Linked Image]
I just separate the cartilage from the back of the ear.It is still attached to the front.I leave them inside out to dry and turn the ears back out when I turn the pelt-easy peasy,no rotten ears,and they are complete ears,not ruined for hats by ripping the front off.It is not necessary to remove the cartilage in order to dry an ear.It just has to be separated from the back of the ear.It will dry fine left attached to the front.
[Linked Image]

© 2024 Trapperman Forums