Home

Skinning the Chest

Posted By: ShawneeMan

Skinning the Chest - 01/20/19 10:43 PM

Anyone have some tips for skinning the chest area (between the front legs) on critters. (Coyotes, coons, etc.)
It takes me forever to do without nicking the leather. The ears, eyes and everything else - No problem.
The chest area - sheesh.
Posted By: Terrence j

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/20/19 11:12 PM

There was a post awhile ago about using a ball pein hammer in that area. I haven't tried it but they say it works. I believe ADC made a video on how to it.
Posted By: RKH

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/20/19 11:29 PM

Ballpean hammer and yes it works awesome
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/21/19 12:00 AM

I use the hammer also
J
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/21/19 12:31 AM

I learned on here to use the ball peen hammer trick. Helps a lot.

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/21/19 01:00 AM

Well... ball peen it is!!!

Thanks - much appreciated!

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/21/19 01:04 AM

Found it - Thanks fellas!
https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/6304777/Searchpage/1/Main/473516/Words/%2Bpeen/Search/true/re-fur-shed-tips-tricks#Post6304777
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/21/19 05:12 PM

Shawnee the ball peen hammer works just fine, but I have been having good luck on coyote by removing the front legs at the elbow before I start skinning. Then when your finished you don’t have any trimming to do after boarding. With a little practice it’s not hard to find the joint with a knife. I will tell you now that cut is not made exactly where you think it should be, cut on the side just below the elbow .
Good luck !
Posted By: Rudy S

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/21/19 10:38 PM

ive used that ball pean Hammer trick as well, works great, Always ended up cutting in that area as well, until i tried the hammer trick.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/22/19 02:13 AM

A good pair of limb loppers will handle the removal of the legs.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/22/19 02:46 AM

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6131583/beavs-hammer-trick#Post6131583 - just a few threads down. I cut off the front legs first as well.
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/22/19 10:44 AM

They bleed a lot when I use to loop the front legs off , made a big mess.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/22/19 10:53 AM

I lopp all front legs off when I skin. Sometimes I have a little blood.but I was all fur after.skinning so not a big deal but. Honestly get more blood from nose than legs. I use a steel to pull front legs and once o go the hand of it the process is pretty fast. Watch the NAFA video I saw posted on here. Has some good info.

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/22/19 01:33 PM

They will definitely bleed when you remove the front legs ,if they are fresh. I will hang most overnight now that I have a machine for skinning. Probably would be a good idea to remove the legs at that time, will have to try and remember that if I ever catch another, lol .
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/22/19 02:30 PM

If you ring the front legs up around the elbow, the skin will peel off over the foot easily. If you ring it closer to the foot, it will be harder to pull off over the foot but is still doable. No need to lop them off IMO. Your mileage may vary.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/22/19 02:56 PM

You guys are a hoot.

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/22/19 03:35 PM

tbn I’ve got to say your a hoot ! I’ve never once seen you post anything constructive, why bother ?

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/22/19 04:32 PM

I do that on coon but never tried It on coyotes. But the next coyote I skin I'll try the leg ringing Idea.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/22/19 05:45 PM

I quit loping off the front legs also, too much blood. I try to skin fresh , skins much easier even with my skinning machine. Just wring the legs and pull through when you get to that point.
Posted By: GomerPyle746

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/22/19 06:00 PM

I use a rubber mallet covered in an old sock.

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/22/19 06:34 PM

I lost my ball peen hammer and I have been using a regular hammer. The ball peen hammer does a whole lot better job by getting Into those tight places.
I think If you get a ball peen hammer you will retire the rubber mallet. You can't no matter how hard you swing It damage the hide. Unless of coarse there Is already a tear some place.

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/23/19 01:55 AM

I'm a leg lopper as well - gonna cut them short anyway so I do it before I skin 'em.
Coyotes get whacked at the elbow and then trimmed during boarding.

I need to catch a coon and try this hammer trick.
Thanks ADC and The Beav - you guys rock!!
( I take back all those rumors I've been spreading around about ya' both!!) LOL!
Posted By: Bowwhitetail

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/27/19 01:39 PM

I tried the ball peen hammer last night on a couple of coons. I’m convinced that makes skinning a whole lot easier.
Posted By: GomerPyle746

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/31/19 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I lost my ball peen hammer and I have been using a regular hammer. The ball peen hammer does a whole lot better job by getting Into those tight places.
I think If you get a ball peen hammer you will retire the rubber mallet. You can't no matter how hard you swing It damage the hide. Unless of coarse there Is already a tear some place.

If I wasn't skinning nutria, I would believe you. Coon and coyotes are much tougher.

Re: Skinning the Chest - 01/31/19 06:21 PM

Try It.

Re: Skinning the Chest - 02/01/19 10:23 PM

This works great - did a coyote last night!!
Thanks Beav!!
Posted By: Terrence j

Re: Skinning the Chest - 02/02/19 11:49 PM

Just tried this today on a coyote I caught this morning. I used a regular claw hammer but it worked great. Now I will be on the lookout for a nice ball pein hammer this spring when the flea markets start.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums