Home

tannery - who do you like for small shipments

Posted By: wrh1971

tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 01/28/19 02:32 AM

I'm a small-time trapper and would like to send a few hides each year to a tannery. Any suggestions? thanks
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 01/28/19 04:18 AM

I have had excellent results from www.sleepycreektannery.com
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 01/28/19 06:52 AM

Moyle in Idaho. www.moytown.com

The down side is shipping since you are on the other side of the country. Their turn around time has improved a lot from what it was 18 months ago. They have quantity pricing if you send more than 1 pelt per species at the same time.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 01/28/19 11:45 AM

I have been using Moyle Mink & Tannery, very friendly, helpful people and excellent work.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 01/28/19 01:19 PM

Another vote for Moyle. I have tried several others and have yet to find anyone that comes close to their quality level. Turnaround has been an issue but they they have made great strides on that IMO. Last year, my small order was done in 5 months. Another small order at another tannery I was trying is still not finished at 9 months and counting with a promised lead time of 4 to 5 months.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 01/28/19 04:01 PM

Sleepy creek did a nice job for me.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 01/29/19 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Sleepy creek did a nice job for me.

Another vote for Sleepy Creek...
Posted By: scheide

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 01/29/19 03:01 AM

I have had excellent service from sleepy creek also. Top notch tanning.
Posted By: wrh1971

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 01/29/19 03:29 AM

thank ya
Posted By: SemperFi

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 01/29/19 01:31 PM

Sleepy creek. I’ve shipped to them 3 years in a row now.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 01/29/19 03:26 PM

If you all don’t mind , what kind of turn around time from sleepy creek ?
Posted By: BigSky

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 01/29/19 08:30 PM

I have sent four separate orders to Moyles in the past year ranging from 3 to 44 pieces; some all the same species, others mixed. They have all been returned to me within 10 weeks. Their work is fabulous.
Posted By: Blkpwda

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 01/29/19 10:03 PM

I've been very happy with Moyles, and I like that they support the NTA.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 01/29/19 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Blkpwda
I've been very happy with Moyles, and I like that they support the NTA.

They are generous with state associations also!
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 01/30/19 02:44 PM

When you ship your furs to these places, do you always get back the same furs you ship, or if you ship say, 3 raccoons, do they just throw yours in the pile and when they're done tanning them ship you back 3 random coons from the pile? And if they ship you back your exact furs, how do they keep them from getting mixed up?
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 01/30/19 05:42 PM

With Moyles, you get your own pelts back. Quite sure that is how it works with other tanneries like Sleepy Creek and Tubari. Not sure about USAFOXX

Moyles codes each pelt as they log it in. Mine always come back with thin colored cable ties through the eye hole. Color coded to identify owner and batch. Tedious work to attach the cable ties but they survive the tanning process and are easier to sort than looking for punches.

If you are concerned about getting your own pelts back, you can punch a code in them before you ship them. Take a push pin and punch your initials or something into the pelt. Make the letters about an inch tall. When you get the pelt back, you will be able to find your punch but it won't be noticeable to most folks.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 01/30/19 07:43 PM

Every time I get my nasty, stinking, brown coyotes back from Moyles, I think I got somebody else's beautiful coyotes. Then I check my secret punch code and confirm they are mine. crazy
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 02/06/19 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt
Every time I get my nasty, stinking, brown coyotes back from Moyles, I think I got somebody else's beautiful coyotes. Then I check my secret punch code and confirm they are mine. crazy

Crap we must be using the same secret punch code as I keep getting ugly brown coyotes back with the CODE

Just kidding

My experience is

Yes to great northern fur
Yes to Z&L
Yes to Tubari
No to sleepy creek
No to usafoxx

Haven't tried moyles but may send them some this year to see how they do

I've had about 300-400 furs tanned, muskrat mink raccoon opossum skunk coyote otter fox badger and squirrels. So I've been able to compare them
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 02/07/19 03:00 PM

I took a small bag of stuff to GNF at the FTA in Marshfield this past summer and still don’t have my fur back ! Made the mistake of paying for the whole job up front , never make that mistake again !
Posted By: AJE

Re: tannery - who do you like for small shipments - 02/21/19 12:59 AM

Yikes. Glad you learned from that mistake, Golf ball.
You'll probably get them back in 2 months I'd say.
They didn't require any $ down on my otter last year, but it took a long time to get it back.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums