Home

Creative uses for small/damaged coon hides

Posted By: Kenny's Boy

Creative uses for small/damaged coon hides - 02/20/19 08:41 AM

I'm seeking creative ideas to use small (non valuable) or slightly damaged coon hides, as opposed to tossing them out. Perhaps they could form a side pouch or similar item. My dad is a long-time trapper (hence my username), and was hoping to find some ideas.

I'm also curious about patterns, methods or pointers regarding coonskin caps. So far I found instructions from Mother Earth News (linked here), but thought I should check on here as well.

Thanks!
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Creative uses for small/damaged coon hides - 02/20/19 06:06 PM

I sellthefaces and tails from hides that are damaged or when hide is used for coat or other use

Also they can be used in smaller projects like earmuffs
Posted By: AJE

Re: Creative uses for small/damaged coon hides - 02/20/19 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Michigan Trappin
I sellthefaces and tails from hides that are damaged or when hide is used for coat or other use

I've never been able to find a buyer for those tails.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Creative uses for small/damaged coon hides - 02/20/19 08:07 PM

I made some "possibles" bags for some black powder guys - gave them my deer hides so they could make "buckskins"...
They want some fur hats, so may do that this spring.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Creative uses for small/damaged coon hides - 02/20/19 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
Originally Posted by Michigan Trappin

I've never been able to find a buyer for those tails.

There is a limited market for tanned Raccoon tails. A lot of them are being imported from China as a by product of the garment industry.

No market for raw coon tails. They should stay on the pelt, if at all possible.

Re: Creative uses for small/damaged coon hides - 02/21/19 01:21 AM

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Faces and tails cut off after tanning
Posted By: Kenny's Boy

Re: Creative uses for small/damaged coon hides - 02/21/19 08:24 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I appreciate it. Ear muffs are an interesting idea. I'll relay these suggestions to the old man and keep tabs on this thread in case anyone else chimes in.

The faces suggestion reminds me: When I was a kid, my dad gave us boys coyote faces. We fitted them over our pet cat's head to transform her into "The Wolf Cat," to our entertainment and her great displeasure. My black wolf face might still be in my childhood toy box among the action figures.
Posted By: glf

Re: Creative uses for small/damaged coon hides - 02/21/19 04:46 PM

You can use the coon to line the inside of a coat.

Re: Creative uses for small/damaged coon hides - 02/25/19 11:43 PM

A few pillows

A scarf or two

Or a small blanket to put over your feet and legs while watching TV on a cold winter night
Posted By: Boco

Re: Creative uses for small/damaged coon hides - 02/26/19 12:06 AM

Good for honing your tanning skills.Even if the tanning doesn't turn out great for the first few you can still make stuff out of them like knife sheaths,mandelas etc.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Creative uses for small/damaged coon hides - 03/21/19 01:00 AM

Hang a small coon hide from the mouth of a coyote decoy while coyote hunting. Pin the tail against the body fur of the coon skin so that the coon tail isn't obvious. This works.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums