Home

Fleshing tool

Posted By: AJE

Fleshing tool - 03/20/19 12:37 AM

I've used this tool on some mink and muskrats this month. It works decent. Curious if you ever sharpen the edges on this tool.
https://www.minntrapprod.com/mobile/Fleshing-Tool/productinfo/FLT-01/
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Fleshing tool - 03/20/19 01:36 AM

A better fleshing tool for marten, mink and rats is the stirrup (small game) flesher. And, yes I have used both and no I have never found a reason to sharpened mine in 35 years or so.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Fleshing tool - 03/20/19 01:34 PM

AJE that's the only tool I use for rats and mink. Seems to work just fine for me. I also have or I should say I had one like bctomcat shows and that also works.
The thing I would suggest Is not to sharpen that tool you show but take a file and square up the edges a bit. When you get done squaring up the edge then take your file and knock off the corners.

If you have the NAFA beaver flick they do the same thing with the Necker. You want a square edge on the dull side so It bites a bit but It's really not sharp. That square edge will push fat a lot better with a square edge then with a rolled over rounded edge.
Give It a try It will surprise you.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Fleshing tool - 03/22/19 09:59 PM

I agree with Beav. I have a couple of those tools and like them.
Posted By: DROCK

Re: Fleshing tool - 03/23/19 02:14 AM

Whats the advantage of using that style fleshing tool over a regular style fleshing knife?
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Fleshing tool - 03/23/19 03:29 AM

A "regular style fleshing tool" is generally to large and cumbersome for small pelts which are usually fleshed on their own forming board rather than a fleshing beam.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Fleshing tool - 03/23/19 03:57 AM

what bctomcat said.

If your spending more then a few seconds on rats your over fleshing them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums