Home

Fleshing Beam question

Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Fleshing Beam question - 06/30/19 07:34 PM

I have the chance to get some thick wall PVC from some work going on locally. Is 12" big enough for a standard fleshing beam ? My understanding you use a large or XL coon stretcher as a pattern. I also need direction on that.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Fleshing Beam question - 06/30/19 08:13 PM

I'm assuming that your talking about PVC pipe. 12" will be more then enough to make a beam.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Fleshing Beam question - 06/30/19 08:27 PM

I made mine out of 8" and it works just fine.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Fleshing Beam question - 07/01/19 12:07 AM

That 12" PVC is a graet find!

I made mine out of !0" PVC, it's been awesome! I have made a 10-1/2" beam (for beaver), 8" beam(coyotes), 6" beam and a 4" beam(mink).
[Linked Image]

The mink beam... I'd rather flesher the mink right on the stretcher board
[Linked Image]

10-1/2" beaver beam... I start a beaver on the 6" beam to flesh around each leg hole first, forgot to switch to the 10-1/2" beam. 6" beam was fine and haven't been using the 10-1/2" beam much.

8" beam... to be honest the 6" beam can do it all for me...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

10" beam/fleshing knife ratio
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Fleshing Beam question - 07/01/19 01:18 PM

Do it - PVC is the best thing going.
12" - wish I could find some...
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Fleshing Beam question - 07/01/19 01:49 PM

I have never used PVC as a flashing beam. I think my wood beam Is at least 40 years old and still doing the job. I like wood.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Fleshing Beam question - 07/05/19 01:16 AM

I've made 4 different sizes of PVC beams also. I too have went to the 6 inch for all my fleshing. It works great for everything I do.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Fleshing Beam question - 07/05/19 01:52 AM

This is what I use, really like it a lot.

https://www.southeasternoutdoor.com/p-956-fiberglass-fleshing-beam-cover.aspx
Posted By: asutcliffe

Re: Fleshing Beam question - 07/11/19 04:32 AM

Rendezvous do you have a set of plans for your fleshing beam system? I'd really like to build one of my own like yours.

Re: Fleshing Beam question - 07/11/19 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by asutcliffe
Rendezvous do you have a set of plans for your fleshing beam system? I'd really like to build one of my own like yours.

I used the information found on a YouTube video put out by Coon Creek Outdoors. I made some minor adjustments(length/angle) to fit my needs, I'm 5'-6". A guy 6'-4" may be uncomfortable using my beam.

Coon Creek Outdoors: My PVC Fleshing Beam... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L70jIe6tBc0

Do some search on Trapperman, guys have put their spin on this beam configurations and types of base/holder.

Good luck to you sir
Posted By: asutcliffe

Re: Fleshing Beam question - 07/11/19 06:12 PM

Thank you.

Re: Fleshing Beam question - 07/12/19 02:23 PM

Here is another video on making a PVC Beam by CT Trapperman, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgF0kmet_hk
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Fleshing Beam question - 10/10/19 04:10 PM

Dog gone it, now I got more work to do LOL.. Pretty slick. Thanks for the link.
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Fleshing Beam question - 10/10/19 05:25 PM

Working on the beams. I have a tip if someone else hasn't shared it. There was no way for me anyway to cut a straight line with the jig saw (wavy). That will require a ton of flap sanding and finish sanding. I still had waves. I cut rough widths (1" wider) then cut to final width on my table saw. I still have to do the 8" board which is the first one I did. Next will be the base. I'll try to pst pics as this project continues. Still deciding on the length and the base and the angle. Pretty much have the locking system and base design figured out. I've also finally figured out an extendable portable skinning machine. This will be my next project.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums