Home

Putting up fur

Posted By: Trapper John MD

Putting up fur - 10/12/19 02:16 PM

I have trapped a few years now not the best but love it. I have always sold my fur in the round. But I am thinking about finishing the fur I catch this year. I have never done it but figured with the fur prices being pretty low it might be a good time to learn. Any advice would be appreciated in this part of the country nobody traps. I the only one around here no one to ask. Thanks for ya'll help
Posted By: kenny k

Re: Putting up fur - 10/12/19 05:55 PM

Sent you a PM I have some DVDs if you like them.
Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: Putting up fur - 10/14/19 02:47 PM

Trapper John, check out coon creek on youtube it really helped me in my journey of putting up fur. Eric
Posted By: Trapper John MD

Re: Putting up fur - 10/15/19 12:10 AM

Thanks for the help fellas
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Putting up fur - 10/15/19 12:31 AM

Get a fur handling manual. I downloaded the nafa manual when I started. Still reference it time to time just to make sure I am doing fur right. Read it, study it and keep it handy. I know my choice of manual may start some controversy but that is the one I chose. The manual will tell you how to do the to an industry standard. To learn technique watch you tube. Remember they may not do the same cuts always but you can learn some tricks, you are just using it for a visual. You tube will show you things a manual can't. Good knives is the one thing I learned are a must. Good luck....
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Putting up fur - 10/15/19 12:40 AM

The Professional Fur Handling DVD Set is well worth the $20 price.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Putting up fur - 10/15/19 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by ABeardedTrapper
Trapper John, check out coon creek on youtube it really helped me in my journey of putting up fur. Eric

Same here
Justin
Posted By: son-of-grizz

Re: Putting up fur - 10/15/19 02:25 PM

I'd recommend after the catch by Matt Jones
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Putting up fur - 10/15/19 04:46 PM

NAFA Pelt Handling Manual ---- https://www.nafa.ca/webcenter/wccproxy/d?dDocName=nafa_012139
Posted By: MuddyMike

Re: Putting up fur - 10/16/19 03:52 PM

my boys really like the dvds in the link QuietButDeadly posted it is a good instructional dvd and I learned a lot from it as well. coon creek also has great videos on fur handling and explains very well what he is doing.
Posted By: danny davis

Re: Putting up fur - 11/23/19 01:20 AM

look up pelt handling for profit ,it was put out by fur harvesters auction inc. you can print it for free .its full of useful information and the board sizes are the standard that fur harvester auctions want their pelts to be,hope this helps.
Posted By: danny davis

Re: Putting up fur - 11/23/19 01:28 AM

look up pelt handling for profit ,it was put out by fur harvesters auction inc. you can print it for free .its full of useful information and the board sizes are the standard that fur harvester auctions want their pelts to be,hope this helps.oh yeah,spend the money and buy a GOOD fleshing knife ,i would recomend a weibe elite a necker 600 or a post fleshing knife and a clean up flesher weibe small pelt skraper .get a good knife to start with ,will make the job easier
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Putting up fur - 11/24/19 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by ABeardedTrapper

Coon Creek Outdoors' Professional Fur Handling Series has really helped me also, it's one of the best resources out there on putting up fur.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Putting up fur - 12/05/19 03:04 PM

Join your states trappers association and I'm sure they have a fur handling clinic at some point in time or I'd bet there will be someone who lives close by that may help you get started in the right direction.
Nothing against watching a video from the internet but I'd rather support those who protect our right to trap and snare these renewable resources.
Posted By: thedude055

Re: Putting up fur - 12/05/19 03:54 PM

To piggy back on what Allan is saying in person is great. I had the opportunity of my local country buyer in ohio back in the day saying he would just show us how he wanted it done so he got the fur his way. Investment for him and me really. He got higher quality fur and I learned it his way. Over the years since i have noticed a difference in what buyers want to see. If you are selling to a local guy ask him how he wants it done and he will likely just show you in person. Free training really and insures the quality of fur for them as well.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: Putting up fur - 12/10/19 10:50 PM

I've seen this guy's YouTube videos and he definitely knows what he's doing!!!
That said - how does he get the leather side so white??
© 2024 Trapperman Forums