Home

What temp and humidity for drying furs

Posted By: thedude055

What temp and humidity for drying furs - 10/21/19 08:47 PM

What temp does everyone try and keep their put up furs drying at? Do you try and control the humidity as well? In the past i have always just done whatever temp i had in my trap shed but now I have the opportunity to setup a really nice controlled room if i need to.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: What temp and humidity for drying furs - 10/21/19 10:44 PM

The recommended condition for drying pelts is 50-60F with fan controlled air circulation, but not directly on the pelts.
When the bodies of fur out species are dry, usually within 24 hours, turn them fur out even if the head area lips and ear butts may be damp. They will generally dry with little if any serious warping as long as you have reasonable drying conditions of low humidity and temperature.
I have never needed to attempt controlling the humidity as I live in a dry climate area, probably similar to Wyoming.
Posted By: IllinoisTraps58

Re: What temp and humidity for drying furs - 10/22/19 12:05 AM

BC is spot on. I aim for 55 degrees and 3-5 fans moving the air. I use electric heat which makes for low humidity. Putting your fur up gives you the best selling options. If your state has a fur auction that’s probably the best bet for top price. Good luck.
Posted By: thedude055

Re: What temp and humidity for drying furs - 10/22/19 02:13 AM

Thanks for the info guys. My fur shed is an insulated roof built in my shop/barn with electric heat. I can easily apply circulation fans. Humidity would remain low. Very well setup. It used to be a full tack room for horses. Good room with power and water even. 50-60 degrees should be easy to maintain.
Posted By: Boco

Re: What temp and humidity for drying furs - 10/24/19 01:14 AM

You get a very nice flexible leather when fur is dried around 55f.Make sure its scraped good.Low humidity is the ticket.
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: What temp and humidity for drying furs - 11/19/19 01:18 AM

My skinning room is around 60° and 10% to 13% RH. I have had great luck with this combo. Mine is a bunkhouse in my barn and there is good airflow through the barn and LP furnace inside room so i can control temp as it gets colder or warmer. Im in western Nebraska so bet we have fairly similar conditions.
Posted By: LDW

Re: What temp and humidity for drying furs - 11/19/19 01:33 AM

I keep my fur room at 50 degrees, with a fan keeping the air moving.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums