Home

Salt alum tanning.

Posted By: forester79

Salt alum tanning. - 11/13/19 12:16 PM

Have a beaver in the solution right now going on 2 days. Question is I have a few spots in the hide that aren't white yet. Is this normal I know it hasn't beeń in long planning on a 5 day soak.
Did a deer and and some coon this way 20 + years ago but can't remember they progressed any more.
Hide was fleshed then salted for 6 days. Rehydrateed for a couple hours and placed in the solution.
Solution is 2 lbs alum and 5 lbs salt to 10 gallons of water
Posted By: Griz Trapper

Re: Salt alum tanning. - 11/14/19 04:11 AM

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but does this tanning solution take the hair off or is it a hair on type of tan?
Thanks Griz

Re: Salt alum tanning. - 11/14/19 11:45 AM

Hair on. It was starting to look better yesterday. I might just be too impatient. Tail seems to be taking good also. Guess I'll find out how it turns out in a couple days.
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Salt alum tanning. - 11/14/19 08:03 PM

Yeah it can take a while to fully go through the pelt. make sure your aggitating multiple times a day. have you checked your PH? that doesnt sound like enough alum for 10 gal

Re: Salt alum tanning. - 11/14/19 11:51 PM

Is the recipe I used years ago from the book Back to basics. Also agrees withe the field and stream article on how to tan a deer hide. Only two references I could find that agreed
article link
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JimEvans

Re: Salt alum tanning. - 11/15/19 12:51 AM

Will this work on coon?
I am hopping to catch a few to teach some Jr High boys how to tan them and make coon skin hats.
Thank you for any reply's
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Salt alum tanning. - 11/15/19 01:48 AM

Supposed to turn white when you break the hide, not really in the pickle itself.

Re: Salt alum tanning. - 11/15/19 12:25 PM

Yes works well coon. This one was tanned about 25 years ago when I was in junior high with nothing but the book to follow [Linked Image]
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Salt alum tanning. - 11/15/19 09:06 PM

Another thing if the hide isn't turning white, you probably didn't get it degreased enough.

Re: Salt alum tanning. - 11/17/19 02:16 PM

Out of the solution and getting oiled. Think I have a couple ify spots but will procede and see what happens. [Linked Image]

Re: Salt alum tanning. - 11/20/19 02:58 PM

nice, let us know how it turns out
Posted By: JTaddeo

Re: Salt alum tanning. - 11/21/19 11:44 AM

Very cool! I'm intending on making my own leathers and tanned hides from here onward unless fur prices rise significantly.

Years ago I did tan my season catch of muskrats and coon using an acid tan method. I still have one of those tanned rat skins.

There's just nothing like tanned fur IMHO, besides I need to make another hat for myself.

I'm thinking coyote.

Re: Salt alum tanning. - 11/22/19 05:29 PM

Finished product. Not the softest but is just a wall hanger [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Salt alum tanning. - 11/27/19 01:42 PM

very nice, love the presentation! i also really like the tail left on, i might try that with my next one i do.
BTW for wall hanger i never break them, just dry on the board and hang. i prefer for them to keep some shape while hanging
© 2024 Trapperman Forums