Home

Dermestid Beatles

Posted By: DDD

Dermestid Beatles - 02/16/20 12:44 AM

Anyone know of a reputable seller?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/16/20 05:38 AM

You dont want those things anywhere near dry fur.

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/17/20 09:35 PM

Well I was gonna try use them to flesh my furs
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/17/20 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by DDD
Well I was gonna try use them to flesh my furs

Interesting concept. Let us know how that works out. Pictures will be nice.

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/17/20 10:23 PM

Will do
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/18/20 12:23 AM

????

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/18/20 12:54 AM

Sarcasm hard to interpret in text?
I know not to have them near fur.
Very much aware what the beatles do.
So does anyone know of or have recommendations for a reputable supplier?
Thanks

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/18/20 04:22 AM

Have you really thought this out?

How are you going to control their movement. How many do you think you need? Can you keep them away from the actual fur. If the job isn't done with In days your going to have tainted hides. Those beetles need warm temps or they aren't going to do any work. How much material can a beetle eat before It quits.

Good luck
Posted By: redbone

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 02/18/20 11:58 AM

Dermestid inc. Beetles are healthy and always get way more then you pay for. They are easy to take care of and if you keep them fed, you will build your colony fast. I have a old deep freeze I made into an encloser. You can pm me if you have any questions.
Posted By: 1crazytrapper

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 03/15/20 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by DDD
Thanks

Originally Posted by DDD
Thanks

Dont let them give you a hard time. They are easy to maintain. I kept them for years to clean skulls, bacculum, fish skeletons ect. and never had a problem. I kept them in my shop with a puppy whelping heater mat under their garbage cans. Use metal garbage cans with lids or they will get out. NO PLASTIC they can chew through it. There is no need to buy any. If you have a carcass put it outside and they will be underneath it laying eggs as soon as it is warm enough out. Soon it will have the larva on it that do all the work cleaning. Collect all that you can and also as many beetles that you can and put them in the trash can with lots of news paper and your things that need cleaning.

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 03/15/20 08:57 PM

[/quote]
Originally Posted by DDD
Thanks

Dont let them give you a hard time. They are easy to maintain. I kept them for years to clean skulls, bacculum, fish skeletons ect. and never had a problem. I kept them in my shop with a puppy whelping heater mat under their garbage cans. Use metal garbage cans with lids or they will get out. NO PLASTIC they can chew through it. There is no need to buy any. If you have a carcass put it outside and they will be underneath it laying eggs as soon as it is warm enough out. Soon the carcass will have the larva on it that do all the work cleaning. Just keep turning it over to check for them. Collect all that you can and also as many beetles that you can and put them in the trash can with lots of news paper and your things that need cleaning. They will be golden as long as they have food and warmth.

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 03/16/20 01:25 AM

I'm still betting they won't flesh a hide.
How many of you guys that have used them to clean skulls have used them to flesh a hide?
Posted By: Boco

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 03/16/20 01:32 AM

They'll flesh a hide allright,they will just leave the hair-no hide at all.
be good for the hatter beaver.

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 03/16/20 01:02 PM

You mean EAT the hide.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 03/17/20 12:29 AM

The Northern Trapper on youtube has a good clip on maintain them in a chest freezer, and the pre-caution how to control them escaping.
You can also see his World speed skinning coyote contest last year in Alberta trappers convention.

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 03/18/20 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I'm still betting they won't flesh a hide.
How many of you guys that have used them to clean skulls have used them to flesh a hide?

I dont think you read his part about sarcasm in the post. The person knows what they are and what they are used for.

Re: Dermestid Beatles - 03/18/20 04:23 AM

Well I was gonna try use them to flesh my furs.

Well this Is what he said so I think he was or Is still planning on using beetles to flesh his fur.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums