Home

Dried Fur Storage

Posted By: BvrRetriever

Dried Fur Storage - 03/20/20 04:10 PM

So with the current market situation, it's becoming increasingly evident that I'll have to carry over my fur. I've never done this on a large scale before. I'm wondering about the large vacuum bags made for space saving when traveling or storing bedspreads, etc. The bags are 32 x 47 (just the right size for even the biggest beaver). The bags have a valve that hooks up to the vacuum cleaner to suck out the air.

Have any of you used this type of vacuum bag for storing put up beaver? How did it work?
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Dried Fur Storage - 03/20/20 08:31 PM

The best way to store dried fur for a lengthy time is in a freezer or cold room with low humidity. But, I don't think dried fur needs to be sealed in an airtight container, but then it cannot hurt IMO.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Dried Fur Storage - 03/20/20 11:10 PM

Right. Forgot to mention the freezer. But I was planning to vacuum seal and freeze.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Dried Fur Storage - 03/21/20 05:09 AM

Vacuum sealing will help space in the freezer.
Posted By: Michigan Trappin

Re: Dried Fur Storage - 05/17/20 08:30 PM

I’ve stored beaver in my cool dry basement for over a year and then sent in to tannery and it was fine. Got about 60 pelts down there now of several species. They will be sent out in a month or two.
Posted By: rbsheadache

Re: Dried Fur Storage - 05/18/20 04:58 PM

I put my fur in large plastic garbage bags and vacumed the air out. I am storing in my basement. I am hoping they hold up. Anyone think it is a bad idea?
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Dried Fur Storage - 05/18/20 06:05 PM

Just keep an eye on them.

At my daughters house In Alaska we have a beaver hide nailed to outside of the barn, door It's been there for at least 12 years and It looks just like it did when we nailed It up. It hasn't rotted and the bugs haven't destroyed It.

I have 2 beaver hides that I cut pieces out of for lure holders and I store them In shut down freezers during the summer. They are just fine and I see no problems with those hides being stored like that.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Dried Fur Storage - 05/19/20 02:23 PM

Have had my dried skins in the freezer for about a month, month and a half. When I take them out to ship, do they need a couple days to thaw/dry before bagging them or can they be shipped right out of the freezer?
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Dried Fur Storage - 05/19/20 03:36 PM

I would not pack and ship right out of the freezer. I would hang for a day or two to thaw and remove any possible frost moister from freezing the pelts.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Dried Fur Storage - 05/19/20 04:16 PM

What the tomcat said.
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Dried Fur Storage - 05/19/20 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by bctomcat
I would not pack and ship right out of the freezer. I would hang for a day or two to thaw and remove any possible frost moister from freezing the pelts.

Thanks, thats what I assumed but wanted to make sure.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums