Home

Fleshing beams

Posted By: John hal

Fleshing beams - 04/08/20 04:05 AM

How the best way to clean it to get the blood and grease off
Posted By: TrapperCarl78

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/08/20 07:06 AM

Be surprised what a warm wet soapy rag will do as far as getting the blood and dirt/grim off. I like some grease. Keeps it treated.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/08/20 01:21 PM

I just use the back side of my fleshing knife and scrape It all off.
Posted By: John hal

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/08/20 02:21 PM

Ok thank you
Posted By: general

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/09/20 02:14 AM

I wipe mine down when I'm done fleshing each night. At the end of the season I clean it with a spray cleaner then I spray it with WD40 and wipe it all down. This works for me
Posted By: AJE

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/09/20 03:33 AM

I wonder how a rag with rubbing alcohol would work

Or maybe a powerwasher in the Spring as part of the final annual cleaning
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/09/20 04:43 AM

Just good old soap and water.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/09/20 12:04 PM

After you get it clean I like to sand down any rough or bad spots then put turtle wax on my fleshing beam and wipe it off same thing with my wood stretchers .
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/09/20 01:33 PM

I went with PVC, any degrease/disifective spray and wipe down. I also take the beam outside, scrub with dawn and hose down.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Madd

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/09/20 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by rendezvous
I went with PVC, any degrease/disifective spray and wipe down. I also take the beam outside, scrub with dawn and hose down.
[Linked Image]

where did you get your PVC for those? And roughly how expensive?

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/09/20 02:59 PM

The only thing I don't like about the PVC Is when I run my knife off of the hide and we all tend to do that It will dull your knife a lot faster then a wood beam.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/09/20 05:09 PM

I keep mine clean as I go.I definitely dont want any grease in the fur.I give it a spray with WD-40 and wipe down with a rag.fatty animals get dusted with cob grit or sawdust while fleshing-this also helps keeps the fur and beam free of grease,and makes clean up much easier-fat is absorbed,and grease and chunks of flesh can be swept up after a session.
Your fleshing beam shouldnt get that dirty in the first place-You shouldnt be fleshing furs that are dirty with blood etc.Fur needs to be cleaned and brushed out before skinning and again before fleshing if they got bloody from skinning.
Posted By: Hern

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/09/20 05:44 PM

I clean after finished each night. Clean as I go.
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/10/20 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Madd
Originally Posted by rendezvous
[Linked Image]

where did you get your PVC for those? And roughly how expensive?

One piece of 10" PVC, 5 foot long used to make all the beams shown, plus I was able to make one more short mink bench beam(4"x 28"). I believe I paid $125 shipped to my door? Check out Coon Creek Outdoors YouTube video on his PVC Beam system, he gives other advice on where to find the PVC, city water works, construction sites...
Posted By: LDW

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/11/20 01:54 PM

I also use a PVC beam. Not sure why you would be using the sharp side when going off the hide onto beam. Ok, I guess when doing beaver. I got my PVC from a well drilling company. Check with your local municipality, they may have some left over from a water or sewer project. I used 12in and paid $40 for 5ft.

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/11/20 03:28 PM

You don't use the sharp side when doing otter?
Posted By: LDW

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/11/20 09:04 PM

Otter also!! We can't keep any we catch, no season.
Posted By: crane

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/13/20 04:41 PM

I made a beam out of 12 in. pvc last year, and I like it a lot. It's pretty much the same as rondezvous'. I do undergound construction work as a side job so I kept a scrap piece of sewer pipe from a job I did. Not sure about your area, but here if you checked around with some construction companies or municipalities you would probably be able to get a scrap piece for very little. It's surprising what a case of beer or some doughnuts will get ya. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/18/20 01:54 AM

[Linked Image]

All done, idk if it'll work, but it's mine! Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/18/20 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
[Linked Image]

All done, idk if it'll work, but it's mine! Sorry for hijacking your thread.
Yes it will work but so will this one and it's movable. [Linked Image]

Posted By: AJE

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/18/20 11:19 AM

I like the portabilty feature. Is that 1 tippy though, bc?

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/18/20 02:16 PM

I can move it around pretty easy, I'm going to see how I like it, i can always trim some weight later. I just didn't want it to move around too much, I haven't fleshed anything thus far, so it'll be trial and error anyway. Thanks for your insight though, much appreciated.

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/18/20 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by AJE
I like the portabilty feature. Is that 1 tippy though, bc?
Not really, especially if you butt it up against a solid object and/or place a foot on the 2X6 base board when your using it.

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/18/20 03:54 PM

I have my wood beam hinged to the wall. Then I have a saw horse placed under It . With this system I can move the saw horse back and forth to change the angle of my beam. Drive 2 nails Into the saw horse and that beam will never move.
The beam on the that stump looks neat but I'm betting your going to have lots of movement when your bearing down on your knife.

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/18/20 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
I have my wood beam hinged to the wall. Then I have a saw horse placed under It . With this system I can move the saw horse back and forth to change the angle of my beam. Drive 2 nails Into the saw horse and that beam will never move.
The beam on the that stump looks neat but I'm betting your going to have lots of movement when your bearing down on your knife.

Maybe I can sell it for a novelty, lol. I'll definitely change it if it sucks, thanks.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/19/20 09:31 AM

mines that way and i have no problems.

Re: Fleshing beams - 04/19/20 05:16 PM

Like the one on the stump? And you don't get any movement when your pushing down on the top end?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums