Home

Smoking hides

Posted By: BezanyBeaver

Smoking hides - 09/01/20 09:23 PM

What’s does everyone use for smoking hides at home, I need ideas for making a smoker I can use to smoke hides. I tried making a teepee but I’m not very happy with it. Don’t think it got a very good smoke on my beaver pelts.
Posted By: garart

Re: Smoking hides - 09/02/20 01:26 AM

Stitch your beaver pelts into a "teepee" shape,propped up by poles and smoke'em. Keep the fire/ smoke coooooll!
Posted By: MrsFord

Re: Smoking hides - 09/30/20 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by BezanyBeaver
What’s does everyone use for smoking hides at home, I need ideas for making a smoker I can use to smoke hides. I tried making a teepee but I’m not very happy with it. Don’t think it got a very good smoke on my beaver pelts.

It won’t let me add photo here but if you look at my posts under “first smokes buckskin” there is a photo there. , was advised to use horizontal pipe as well to help keep the heat away from hide.
Posted By: trapper20

Re: Smoking hides - 11/01/20 07:37 PM

I have a small outbuilding. i put a small woodstove outside and ran a pipe into the building with a elbow up. i have wires strung across a frame to hold the pelt above the pipe. while smoking i throw an old heavy sheet over the pelt to hold the smoke in. seems to work better than a teepee and no chance of flame up or woring about the wind blowing my smoke away
© 2024 Trapperman Forums