Home

Skinner's Friend

Posted By: Walt Gessler

Skinner's Friend - 12/20/20 02:41 AM

I tried this product this fall and found it very helpful. This product consists of a 2x6x30" board, a chain, a combination chain cinch/tail stripper and a vice grip. I found this product made skinning animals much easier because you use your legs to pull down the hide and allows you to use both hands to work on the animal. I have skinned both coon and otter using this and it is much easier. Being able to use your legs to do the heavy pulling really makes skinning much easier. The product works by first starting the skinning like you do any cased skinned animal. Once the hid legs are started, the vice grip is attached to the hide. Using your foot to push down on the board, the hide is pulled down and you use both of your hands to do any knife work and minor pulling. As the hide is worked off and the board gets lower to the floor you lift up on the chain and hook it in a new spot on the chain cinch. Continue this process until you finish.

The tail stripper works like most except you use you legs to do the pulling. I am still getting used to the tail stripper as you can really crank on the tail. I have pulled entire tails off the carcass due to the force you can exert with your legs. You need to skin the tail down about a 1/4-1/3 and the stripper works best, otherwise you will pull the tail from the carcass. As I use this more I will get a better feel for using the tail stripper.

I have not used it on a coyote, but feel it will make the job easier. For a longer animal, like a coyote, it will be important to have a higher ceiling to make full use of this product. If the animal is to low to the floor you will run out of space to pull down on the hide.

In addition, it is portable. You can easily put it in the back of your truck and bring it with you.

Do an internet search for Skinner's Friend if you want to see it in use. I have found this to be a product that was helpful to me and I hope to others as well.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Skinner's Friend - 12/20/20 04:58 PM

Thanks for sharing! I'm sure somebody will bash you for it, but I appreciate your review!
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Skinner's Friend - 12/20/20 05:13 PM

Sounds pretty slick. Basically using leverage instead not armstrong power. Might have to make a rig like that for my receiver hitch.
Posted By: Jasper69

Re: Skinner's Friend - 12/20/20 07:25 PM

Just ordered one yesterday .
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Skinner's Friend - 12/20/20 08:14 PM

Last year I had an idea to use a semi brake drum as a weight to keep tension on the skin...still had to stand on it, ditched it pretty quick, lol.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Skinner's Friend - 12/25/20 02:42 AM

I bought one this year and love it. Very easy to use and saves on the hands.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums