Home

Fleshing beam radius

Posted By: Barredowl

Fleshing beam radius - 12/30/20 01:32 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What do all you seasoned fur handlers think about the radius on this fleshing beam? I’ve never fleshed anything before so I have no idea what I should be shooting for. I’ll be fleshing mostly coon, coyote, and bobcat on this beam and the knife I’ll be using is the one in the photos. I’m using a 2x6 for the beam. Also I’ll be filling any holes around the knot with epoxy and sanding it smooth. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Fleshing beam radius - 12/30/20 02:32 AM

Posted By: Boco

Re: Fleshing beam radius - 12/30/20 02:33 AM

I'd make it a little flatter,but not much.

If your shaving and pushing fat about an inch and a half-2 inch of flat is good.

Re: Fleshing beam radius - 12/30/20 02:38 AM

I’ll be doing mostly coon, coyote, and a few bobcat.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Fleshing beam radius - 12/30/20 02:41 AM

Like Boco said It could be a bit flatter. But remember when your fleshing your knife should be just about flat not In the vertical position.
That knot may give you problems so get It sanded smooth or you might want to use some wood filler to smooth It out.

Re: Fleshing beam radius - 12/30/20 02:47 AM

Yep I’m going to fill the knot with epoxy and sand it smooth. It would have been a lot easier to find a clean board I realize but since I’ll likely be building another one after I figure out what works and what doesn’t I figured I’d use what I had first then go from there

Re: Fleshing beam radius - 12/30/20 04:57 AM

You've done a good job. Now get It dirty.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Fleshing beam radius - 12/30/20 03:55 PM

2X
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Fleshing beam radius - 12/30/20 08:30 PM

Here is the radius on my beam and a pic of what I actually push... by the way, nice job on the beam!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Fleshing beam radius - 12/30/20 08:50 PM

Weather your removing fat or gristle with your knife always use a slicing side to side motion with your knife. That way you get more removed as you move the knife. With just a straight even push of the knife your only removing a very small narrow strip. And keep that knife just about flat, you want to get under what your trying to remove you don't want a bunch of build up In front of the knife.

Re: Fleshing beam radius - 12/30/20 10:30 PM

I was wanting to just find a big piece of 10” PVC but that stuff is proving very difficult to even find in scrap pieces.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums