Home

Dark spot on a tanned beaver

Posted By: NorthenTrapper

Dark spot on a tanned beaver - 03/15/21 12:05 AM

I'm n the process of tanning a beaver using bocos method and the orange bottle I have it sitting out, and a dark spot devolved in the middle or lower middle portion. It feels dry is that just how it's going to turn out?
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Dark spot on a tanned beaver - 03/15/21 01:16 AM

I've only tanned two critters, so ill give you my extensive experience! Lol. After I applied the solution, the leather turned dark, after I pulled it, they lightened right up. Hope this helps.

Re: Dark spot on a tanned beaver - 03/15/21 02:47 AM

Do you mean puling as in stretching the leather out in your hands because when I do so I can see the fibers start to show.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Dark spot on a tanned beaver - 03/15/21 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by NorthenTrapper
I'm n the process of tanning a beaver using bocos method and the orange bottle I have it sitting out, and a dark spot devolved in the middle or lower middle portion. It feels dry is that just how it's going to turn out?

You got a picture?
If its too dry to stretch dampen it with warm water and cover it over for a few hours.
The leather will darken as it dries,but lightens up when you stretch it.

Re: Dark spot on a tanned beaver - 03/15/21 03:16 AM

Cant take a picture because of phone being broken it has a dark gray and light blackish color to it with some spots darker.

Re: Dark spot on a tanned beaver - 03/15/21 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by NorthenTrapper
Do you mean puling as in stretching the leather out in your hands because when I do so I can see the fibers start to show.

Sounds like what mine did, I "broke" (pulled) them over a 1/8" cable...listen to Boco before me though! Lol

Re: Dark spot on a tanned beaver - 03/17/21 04:06 AM

Yukon did you pull back and forth coveting just one area or pull, so it covers the full skin? I was pulling on the skin to stretch it out like the instructions said to, and it lightened up real fast.

Re: Dark spot on a tanned beaver - 03/20/21 05:04 PM

I apologize for the delayed response...I did a little of both, I don't think it matters much, as long as you don't crease it. Again, I don't have a bunch of experience.

Re: Dark spot on a tanned beaver - 03/20/21 11:18 PM

I broke mine today mostly by sanding it down and rolling, it is pliable.

Re: Dark spot on a tanned beaver - 03/21/21 12:17 AM

Awesome
Posted By: Kevin Berry

Re: Dark spot on a tanned beaver - 01/27/22 03:04 AM

I've got this same issue on a couple of mine that I tanned with the orange bottle. After sanding and rolling did the spots whiten up? Mine has gotten pretty stiff and I am unable to stretch it by hand, or even by working it back and forth over a saw horse. I haven't broken out the sander yet though
© 2024 Trapperman Forums