Home

Sleepy Creek Tannery

Posted By: bowhunterks

Sleepy Creek Tannery - 03/23/21 12:32 AM

Has any body had any dealings with this tannery in Iowa. I want to get some beaver tanned that i caught this spring.
Posted By: Coyoteboy

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 03/23/21 02:05 AM

I’ve had everything from coyotes to muskrats done by them They do a good job but are way backed up I believe. They are about an hr away from me.
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 03/23/21 03:09 AM

I have had many, many things tanned by Sleepy Creek, and I am very pleased with everything they have done for me. Call Ben, and he will answer any questions you may have.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 03/23/21 04:06 PM

A friend of mine ships all his fur there. As far as I know he's been happy with the results.
Posted By: bowhunterks

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 03/25/21 12:34 AM

Called the tannery today, price seem's to be reasonable i'm going to ship out my beaver's tommorrow going to give them a try, there 5 to 6 months out on tanning.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 04/15/21 02:57 AM

I've been very happy with everything I've had done there.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 06/25/21 10:20 PM

Had a half dozen fox and fifteen coon and a skunk done. Coon and skunk came back fine. Fox were not good. Many holes and tails were knappy. Will send fox to Moyle next time. Have had them tan lots of fox and they always come back excellent. Have put up hundreds of fox and never saw tails come back like this not sure what happened. I know they're a little overburdened with turnaround at 5 to 6 months. This is the first time I've used them. I'll sell them as wall hangers but won't making any profit.
Posted By: Newtrap19

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 01/25/23 04:32 PM

Has anyone sent them their green hides to be fleshed and tanned by them? Have 2 skinned beaver i want to send
Posted By: trapjunkie

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 01/25/23 06:16 PM

I wouldn’t send them a hide off of a democrat. I shipped them 18 super blankets because shipping beaver to moyles can get real pricey. Speedee shipped them 75% cheaper to sleepy creek. Speedee doesn’t ship to Idaho. Don’t remember the exact price but it was around 500.00 to get them back. They had to fold them over to get them in the boxes and they were so stiff and hard that some of them actually broke. They were trash. I ended up throwing them away. I’ve shipped several hundred furs to moyles and they are perfect every time. I gladly pay the higher shipping rates now.
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 01/26/23 03:11 AM

I have sent them fur the last two years and have had no problems. I’m sending more to them this year.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 01/26/23 03:23 AM

There OK at best for wall hangers but forget about garment quality. Whoever shaves them needs to go back to school and learn how to do it right. Some of my furs look like they used a dull axe on them.
Posted By: Wiplumber

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 01/26/23 04:07 AM

I sent sleepy creek a big mule deer buck hide last year and they sent me back a small whitetail hide. Said he would refund me the money if I sent him the hide back. Still haven’t seen a check in the mail.
Posted By: JSell

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 01/26/23 06:37 PM

I just got back a bunch of fur - coon, coyote, fox, possum, skunk, cat and beaver. I was happy with most of it, however some of the beaver were shaved too thin. Lots of holes and thin spots on the leather. Everything else has been pretty good.
Posted By: scheide

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 02/12/23 12:18 AM

I have had no problems with them. Excellent service.
Posted By: jonesy

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 02/19/23 11:12 AM

shipped them some hides in january and they said it would be done in may. they put a hole in a otter last year and thats the only issue ive had
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 02/27/23 09:17 PM

This is the first I have heard of bad things from sleepy creek. Glad I read this. I was about to send my best 10 beaver from this year to be tanned
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 02/28/23 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Newtrap19
Has anyone sent them their green hides to be fleshed and tanned by them? Have 2 skinned beaver i want to send

I have. I have always been very happy with the hides they have done for me. Remember its hard to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. I imaging some of the complaints you may here they did the best they could with what they were sent. They are fairly new though so some of their first stuff may not have been as good. I've used them for about 8-9 years with no complaints. I've sent to Moyals in the past and I can't tell which ones they did vs. the ones sleepy creek did. All terrific quality for me.
Posted By: Gurdy

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 03/09/24 05:55 PM

Sleepy Creek good for garments? About to send 30 beaver to them to make hats and stuff out of. Good idea or bad?
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 03/09/24 09:49 PM

Ben and the guys at Sleepy Creek are top notch. I think you'll be happy with them.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 03/11/24 09:17 PM

Gurdy, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket.
Posted By: trapped4ever

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 03/12/24 04:11 AM

I decided to try it, and sent a batch of beaver to Sleepy Creek Tannery once, a few years ago. I was NOT happy with their results. They made plenty of holes and did a very poor job with the thinning wheel. Many places were shaved to thin, and lots of wheel marks on the leather side. I will continue to stick with Moyle Tannery, since after many years, and hundreds and hundreds of pelts, I have always been happy with the results.
Posted By: Short Track

Re: Sleepy Creek Tannery - 04/14/24 06:38 AM

Stay away from USA Foxx & Furs. You'll never get your fur back. I lost a batch. They don't answer the phone. VM filled up. I have to file a small claims case.

Sleepy Creek, yeah, once in a while it's too thin. But at least I get back my fur.

Never tried Molies.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums